Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resolution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Policekauk

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
US
If my Display's resolution is 1680 X 1050 why isn't a jpeg of 562x760 or 320 x 248 not seen in focus? Should I not see both jpegs when set as my wallpaper in perfect focus?

How does this relate to Photoshop?

What is your definition of 'perfect focus'? This is not a standard term when addressing resolution.

...is your wallpaper settings stretching these images?

...if so, you will need to have the same pixels 1680 x 1050 for the images, or display the smaller images without scaling to 1680 x 1050...

Andrew

Jimoblak

What I mean by focus is that the image is sharp, clear and not blurred.

apepp

No, the images are not stretched. But an image that indicates that it is 562 X 760 pixels should be sharp and clear when displayed as wallpaper shouldn't it? It is so blurred that I can't make sense of it. You're saying that in order for it to be displayed sharp and clear yhe image must be 1680 x 1050 when I set it as desktop background?

...no, what i'm saying is if the image isn't 1680 x 1050 and being stretched you will likely loose quality, because the pixel data is being stretched...

...now that you've made it clear that the image isn't being stretched to fill your screen, then what might be the jpeg compression settings being used on this image in question?

...jpeg compression too high can yield to very bad image quality...

Andrew

...it is also true to say that a image that states a given pixel dimension doesn't necessarily equal great image quality...

...even if your image was 1680 x 1050, it could of course be a very poor image, due to how it was taken, or the digital compression being used...

Andrew

...also, simply resampling an already poor image to 1680 x 1050, probably won't work either as it is always better to resample down than up in size...

...wallpaper or desktop images are often provided in varying sizes to accommodate the various size displays available...

...for better quality you often have to select the nearest size to your own monitor available, and likely better to go for an image with a higher pixel dimension...

Andrew

If you stretch your 562x760 or 320 x 248 image to the full size, Photoshop is not going to add clarity. You need to start with a higher resolution image. 'GIGO'

now that you've made it clear that the image isn't being stretched to fill your screen

I don't think it has been made clear that the image isn't being stretched. Policekauk is using odd terminology to describe the issue. A posted screenshot of the problem may help greatly.

...yes jimoblak, as mention, pixel dimension doesn't always mean a focused and sharp image or subject matter...

...as jpeg is compression, then it is likely that or just a bad image to begin with...

Andrew

Hi

Open the image in Photoshop.

Change the image size to the same as your screen pixel size (1680 x 1250).

Zoom in until it fills the screen.

That's as good as it is going to look.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back