Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resolution changes after switching users

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewerdude

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2003
US
I have a dual-monitor setup using an older NVIDA 4400 TI, the two monitors are of different sizes(one is 19" wide screen at 1440x900, the other is a 19" regular at 1280x1024). After switching back between users a few times, it knocks the resolution back to 640x480 on both monitors. In addtion, the content on the two monitors is mirrored, rather than extended. Also, you cannot change the resolution once it's in this state, the only way to fix is to reboot. I have the latest drivers for the video card. This also used to happen when I had a GeForce2 and old ATI card in the system, I thought that maybe the drivers of the two were incompatible, so went with single card that had two outputs. Unfortunately, the problem still exists...

Generally you can do the multi-monitor switching using Windows Display Properties OR with software supplied by the card manufacturer. Have you tried both. One may work better for you than the other.
Either way there should be a check box or option allowing you to Clone or Extend onto the second monitor.

I'm using the Window's display properties, which works better as it allows for different resolutions on each monitor.

Problem isn't switching between monitors, it's when I switch users. When you go start, logoff, switch user, it then brings up the login screen with the resolution at 640x480, and when you login you can't change it back.

Just a suggestion... I had issues when trying to clone a desktop onto a second monitor (I think it was an ATI card), where the settings kept getting lost after a reboot, whether I used the Window's display properties or the Catalyst drivers. I ended up using UltraMon, which lets you save desktop/monitor settings, and the problem was solved. Note that it's not free ($39.95).

However, I realize that your situation is a bit different, and there may be a better way to solve this than buying a piece of software.

so
each user has a profile
each profile is whatever the user sets
did you some how delete the acl files for the profiles?

not sure. Both users have the same settings for each monitor. It only happens when switching between the two, and rebooting resolves the issue (until it happens again).

Hi, Brewerdude

I assume you are using fast user switching?
Does the same thing happen if you log out the first user and log in the second rather than switching?

Jock

I was asking because some apps, such as for example Novell's netware client, disable fast user switching, apparently for reliability reasons. I have also had problems with legacy apps running in that setup and have had to disable it to avoid database corruption or resource lockups.

It could be some resource not being freed up or a re-entrancy or virtualization problem since the switched out user(s) are still there though quiescent.

If so then a simple fix is unlikely and disabling fast user switching may be your only alternative.

Jock

brewerdude,
When I've experience similar problems in the past, it was normally due to one of two things:

1) The wrong driver was being used, or there was a secondary one installed that was conflicting with the right one.

2) The card itself was the limiting factor not providing a reliable interface.

I would double-check in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Advanced Settings" for video properties to make sure that you are defining each monitor's resolution there. Sometimes the default "Settings" tab under Display Properties doesn't play well with certain video cards. Don't forget to use 60Hz as the refresh rate if you're using LCD monitors.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back