Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RESOLUTION CHANGE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexfusion

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
AR
Hello everyone!
I'm Alejandro from Argentina.
This must be a very basic question for you but I have to make it anyway:
I am designing a web site,and of course I'm using tables.That's fine.
The site looks good when I am working at 800x600.But when I switch to 1024x768 the content of the web site shifts to the left.
I am using the width attribute in pixels,not percentage.If I use this last option,can I solve this problem,so the layout is conserved?

Thank you

Alejandro

mixale@hotmail.com

Yep, use percentages. --
Tim <tim@planetedge.co.uk>

Also, you should center the entire table.

A great trick is to create a new html document and within the document create a single cell table with a width of 100% and give it an extra wide border (4 or 5 pixels)temporarily, so you can find it later. Center this table (be careful which centering method you use, e.g. <center> or <div align=&quot;center>.

Now go back to the page you previously were having trouble with (800X600 etc). Select this entire page. Copy it (use ctrl+C) and go to your new page with the single cell table and paste (use ctrl + v )the copy INSIDE your single cell table. In other words, you have nested your previous page in a single celled table... the single celled table can be manipulated based upon screen size using 100%. When you are happy with the results, get rid of the border... yahoooooo!

If you pursue this further you will find that tables nested within tables is complex, but once you get the hang of it, the results are very satisfying...
John U

I have just to say thank you!!! for your useful responses.

Alejandro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back