Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing Server Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
Is there a way of resizing my Server partitons without having to purchase expensive software like Volume Manager?

thanks

JP

Just standard IDE hard disks with several partitions.

Partition Magic Pro will not resize Server 2000 or NT Server.

Thanks

JP

Nope you are right JP it will not ( I learnt that the hard way)
Are you wishing to resize your OS partition or some storage partitions? Disk Management will allow resizing of storage partitions easy enough, but if its your OS partition then you will need volume manager or similar.
I could not justify paying the $$ for volume manager myself, so I had to take one of my servers to a friends work to use their version.

Also Disk Managment didnt like resizing RAID array disk either I found so volume manager was the only way to go.

Just a suggestion:

1. Image your OS or image every partition. Repartition your HDDs then image back the partitions.

or

2. Assuming you're using veritas, arcserver etc, do full back up (test your back up) and repartition your drive then restore from the backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back