Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resizing input text box screwing up font size

Status
Not open for further replies.

iostream71

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
i have an input text box that i use for user posting. problem is, if i adjust the size of that text box, the font size changes around and then i can't get it back to initial size. any ideas?

A link?

Regards,
new.gif

argh..you always ask for a link, which i don't have =p. put simply:

i have a text box with arial font of 10 px. if i resize that text box larger, the font size grows. if i make it smaller, the font shrinks. it won't stay at 10 px

I asked for a link, because if I do exactly what you're saying, my text size doesn't change!
What more can I say!

Regards,
new.gif

hmm...weird. what settings do you use in the properties box?
i'm using input text, arial font, 10px, single line, 15 max chars, 160x16

if i adjust to 160x200, the font size is gigantic >_<

Same as your's!
No change!

Have you tried a new textfield, worst case in a new project?

Regards,
new.gif

I have not been in here in a while... been extremely busy... anyway...

You cannot use the transform tool or the transform panel to change the size of your textbox... it will distort and skew the text.

You must double-click the text and drag the handle at the right to change the size of the box width. Height is automatically determined by the font size.

It is hard to get it accurate this way but if you are careful you can get it very close. Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

i tried it that way and works now. seems kind of odd to design that way. flash has way too many annoying quirks =/

Who had said anything about using the transform toll?
BTW, if you check the constrain box, locking both width and height, it does work, and you can set it back to it's original width and height!

Regards,
new.gif

i didn't use the transform tool either. for some reason, if i put height/width values into the properties box or info box, it would change. but if i pulled on the square thingy(no idea what it's called) next to the text field, it wouldn't distort

where is the &quot;constrain box&quot; option? i didn't see anything like that in mx

Wasn't talking about MX either! You didn't specify it and I assumed you were talking Flash 5... MX related questions have been rare up until now, here on Tek-tips.
My mistake!

Regards,
new.gif

sorry 'bout that. well i tried it on flash 5, and it was the same lol

Well in Flash 5, you'll find the &quot;constrain&quot; box in the Transform panel.

Regards,
new.gif

Since you stated it is working now, I guess I would be late on suggesting the possibility that you have everything selected (text and texbox) when you enlarged ...

You can select a textbox and enlarge it without affecting the text, provided the text is not highlighted.

Regards;

josel If you have the knowledge, consult and educate those who need it! - Jose Lerebours

Jose, you're right when using the handle on the textfield itself, but if you type in a new size in the Info panel, the text will scale, if it's selected or not. And that's what iostream71 was doing, and furthermore he was doing it in MX.

Regards,
new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back