Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing Images / Creating Thumbnails

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumposters

Programmer
Aug 31, 2006
US
Has anyone used Coldfusion to create a thumbnail from a larger photo? If so, please share how you did it and how good the quality of the thumbnails were. What I am trying to do is have a form that lets users upload an image and at the same time create a thumbnail of this image for them automatically.

How would you compare that paid product to the all free open source Image CFC?

I've never used an open source one as we needed support from anything that we used, was just comapny policy.

Way better than some of the other paid ones out there as well

Tony

I cant find a link for it now bet we have used a tag called cfx_pixSize and cfx_PicReSize. Works really well.

For free: I would only recommend cfx_openImage based on Image Magik libraries

For Commercial: I would second the Alagad component (AIC) recommendation. Alagad Image Component uses native java and is a cfc, so even on shared hosts you can get great quality.

I have not tried Efflare's ImageCR3 - but believe that it is a cfx tag? I have heard it produces better results than alagad when resizing large images to very small thumbs, but have not tested. however, with cfx_OpenImage, and alagad AIC, you can manually do a multi-pass resize and get much better results.

for instance, you have a 1600x1200 original size image uploaded to a gallery...

if you make a 120x90 thumb the quality won't be so hot.
but if you make a 800x600 version, then take that and make a 400x300 version, then take that and make a 120x90, the quality os very good.

Kevin

Phase 1: Read the CFML Reference
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!

Kevin, one great thing about ImageCFC (aside from it being free) is the speed. I use it one of my site to:
1. resize the original image (with ratio aspect on)
2. watermark the resized image
3. create a thumbnail from the original image

All that takes a split second.

This CFC also allows the code to add blur effect, sharpen, fade, etc.

from the brief look, imageCFC looks pretty good, and as you say is free. I'd probably go for that one as there is going to be a cfimage tag within scorpio apparently that hopfulyl will do these functions!

Tony

Here is a comparison of resize quality

It does NOT fully address the ease of use, features or really anything else.

Check it out and let me know if you want to see other demos while I have all the tags / cfcs installed.

I haven't yet got ImageCFC yet. maybe next week.

enjoy - I want to eventually make a real nice comparison of features, but scorpio will probably be out before I get around to that, then this becomes legacy!

Kevin

Besides ImageCFC, the only other CFX tags i've used was CFX_ImageCR. And, I have to tell you, I was not happy with CFX_ImageCR. I found it to be somewhat slow and the end-result to be so-so.

I use image_CR without fail on my sites where I can install a cfc.

what do you use on hose that refuse to install CFC's

On hosts that won't let you install CFX tags?

they usually have some tags that are already installed like cfx_image or CFX_OpenImage

Or, you can use any of the CFC's

If you in fact do have a host that does not allow CFC's, run away...find a new one.

Kevin

You can request a CFX tag to be installed by the host and they usually comply. Something they point you in the direction of a similar tag.

Most hosts get iffy cause some CFX tags need a liscense and the host may not want to pay for it.

My host wont install any CFC on the server cause they said all other users will have access to them

Besides that one quirk, my host has been amazing..Well, that and they refuse to install media server so I can broadcast videos...

Thing is I have about 40 - 50 sites there for various clients...and I dont want to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back