Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing Content to Page Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenriBergson

Technical User
Sep 3, 2006
GB
Dear all,

I would be grateful for the solution to the following problem.

I have designed an English book on InDesign 2.0. The page size is standard 193 x 265mm. The 'text box' size is 142.606 x 212.606mm. Within these boxes (there are approx. 250 pages) lie different sized text, and tiff illustrations.

Having completed this book, the author now wants the page size to be 188 x 242mm instead. Arrgghhh!!!

Can you tell me, if it is even possible, how I can reduce the size of the text and illustrations IN PROPORTION to the new page size? As if every page just shrunk by 5%-odd.

In Photoshop, this is easily done in 'transform' (even text). Please tell me it's possible in InDesign 2.0!

Forever in your debt!

Henri

This would require more than one click. Make copy of doc and resize it in doc setup (under File). Then, make group of all elements contained in one page and scale that group not numericaly but manualy with ctrl and shift buttons held down together - this will scale text and images together with containing frames and ther stroke or fill (for this create one master page with set guides to make all pages of publication look same). Then repeat this for every page. If there is more simple way pls let me know.
using InDCS on WinXP

senja

Shoot the author!!

This is going to take some time, no matter which way you try it. The author will have to be charged for your time.

I have never heard of a 'standard' page size of 193mm x 265mm - is this the metric equivalent of the US 'letter size'?

Hi, Why not make a pdf of this book and alter size in acrobat. You can calculate what pagesize has to be (for output on 95% 197,9 x 254,8) and then print pdf file on say 95%.
So you alter pagesize in acrobat to 197,9x254,8 and print pdf on 95%.
Greetings

Peter

Only problem with this, is that the original page ratio is a little different to the new one. This means that margins in one dimentsion will be greater (or less, depending on which way you choose to print) than the original.

But i agree with eggles that shooting the author is best way to solve this.[bigsmile] They always give much troube after you carefully handled their lifework...

Quote a ridiculously high price for making the alterations and see if he'll agree to reducing the whole thing by 5% as a PDF. I had a very similar situation and this solution worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back