Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing and Transparency of an image 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darylt

Vendor
Jul 9, 2004
GB
I have two main problems.

I have an image that it approx 960 x 960 mpixels, I need to reduce it to approximately 34 x 34. However whenever I do this the image becomes very pixilated. Is there a way to do this without it pixelating?

I want to place the image over another, the image is round however the canvas is square, I can make the background of the image transparent, however when I copy and paste the image it makes the square transparent through all of the layers.

I'm not 100% sure that it made sense, and I'm sure there is a very easy soloution, however I have been stuck on this for days now!!!! PLEASE HELP!

First question - unless you created the image in a vector format, there's just no way to reduce it, or expand it, without some distortion, expecially when you're reducing it by something like 2800 percent!

Question 2 - the only method I know of to accomplish want you want would be to promote the image to a layer, remove the background color, then copy/paste what's left onto your other image.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Can I save it as a vector graphic then resize it?

Nope! It has to start as vector and stay as vector. Once saved in another format (usually GIF or JPEG) there's no going back.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

1) Like tviman says, you're bound to lose some quality when you resize an image so radically. However, you may be able to get better results than you're getting. You need to check that the "colour depth" of your image is set to the highest setting. I think it's in the "colour" menu of PSP7 (I don't have a copy on this PC), dunno about v8. When you do the resize it should blur the lines rathre than pixelate them (you might need to run a "Sharpen" on the image afterwards).

2) Not really sure what you're trying to do here, but you should be able to select the round image (sometimes its easier to select the background & invert the selection), copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into the other image.

-- Chris Hunt

Going from 960x960 to 34x34 is rather drastic... however, try this (increase color depth to 16 mio.) :

a) merge to one layer -if not done already
b) Resize to 480x480
c) Image->sharpen->sharpen
d) Resize to 240x240
e) Image->sharpen->sharpen
f) Resize to 120x120
g) Image->sharpen->sharpen
h) Resize to 60x60
i) Image->sharpen->sharpen
j) Resize to 34x34

Placing a round selection on another image? Try this

a) Set the selection tool to circle