Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resizing an image for wedding album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dollylovestofish

Technical User
Nov 29, 2005
US
Hello, I'm kind of new to photo shop so bear with me. I need to resize some image to 8x10 for a wedding album. my problem is some of my photos are (under image size) 48 x 32 inches 23 meg and 72 ppi..........If I just crop to 8x10, I'm losing some of the picture that I want!!! I tried reducing slowly thru percent and same happended. Help! thanks Dolly

Also, why do some of my photos come thru at such a large height and width and some do not?

Go into Image size, and just change the units to inches, instead of percent. And make sure the image proportions are locked.

If you are printhing the photos, you can save some time and just go to file-print with preview and check the box that says resize to fit media.

As for why the photo size varies, it might be a camera setting.

Be sure that the resample box is NOT CHECKED. Then set either height or width to what you want. The pixels per inch will be recalculated automatically. The pixels per inch should not drop below 150 if you are printing the photos. If it does, you will need to check that resample box, and increase the pixels per inch. You should only have to do minor cropping, if any, to get exactly the right size and shape that you want.

Both questions indicate that you should read the section of the Photoshop manual on 'resolution'.

You should also learn what resolution (and line screen, if applicable) your output device (printer) is to determine what resolution you should be working with in Photoshop.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

If you want to 'crop' to 10x8, open the image, click on the crop tool, set your dimensions (Width:8 in Height:10 in, and then a resolution, say 300), and then draw a box around the part of the image you want in the final pic. Resize using the grab handles if necessary, then right click on the image and select crop. Voila a perfect 10x8x300 image!

If, however, you want the whole image then the previous suggestions are the way to go.

Neil

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

...oops should have read the OP a bit clearer! ignore my post :)

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back