Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing a RAID 5 partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjc

MIS
Dec 20, 2002
GB
I have Windows 2000 server loaded on a 2GB partion of
a Dell Poweredge 2400 server with a hardware RAID 5. I have an adjacent 2GB partition that I would like to make available to the primary partition. I'm considering Partition Magic to resize the partition, but I'm not sure if this is the best solution or if there is an easier or better way. File system is NTFS. Any input help would be appreciated.

You might have a Array Configuration Utility since you are running hardware raid. In this utility you should be able to resize your raid partition. I suggest that you don't use partition magic since there may be consequences with the controller.

Faisal
MCSE, CCNA

I just recently did a project like this. I wanted to resize a 1 GB (Why?) Primary that the last Admin left on my RAID 5 partition in a Compaq ProLiant 1600 where the controller didn't like Partition Magic. I used Norton Ghost and made an image of the server, blew everything away on the server, resized the partions the way I liked it and then reapplied the image. I know that sounds extreme but it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back