Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize image-larger

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartix

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
US
Hi guys/gals,
Can an image that is 169x213 pixels/150psi, be resized to about 10x8 inches. This is going to be printed.

Well technically, 'yes' you *can* resize it...but I doubt it's going to look like anything you're going to want to print...sorry. By all means of course, give it a try...it's at least worth the learning experience to see what happens.

When it come to printing (assuming you're looking for reasonable photo quality) as a rule, I'd suggest that you can get away with 'doubling' the size, if the resolution is 200-300dpi. In your case 169x213 pixels is only about 1x1.5 inches *and* the dpi is only 150.
To get decent 10x8 print, you'd need a minimum 5x4@200dpi (your mileage may vary...see dealer for details...)

HTH...Rob

psi = pounds per square inch... :)

ppi is the proper term, pixels per inch. dpi, or dots per inch, is irrelevent, refers to screen display.

Anyway, back to your question... technically yes, the image can be resized. Effectively, no way. There is really no way to get a quality image from that original, you will see pixelated edges and a truly horrible image upon enlargement.

A trick I have used before to get the maximime quality out of enlargements of low rez images is to increase the size by 10% at a time. Repeat, until you reach the needed size, and you might have something that can be worked over, it all depends on what you started with and how picky you are with the results.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

ha..ha..ha... very good viol8ion... I read right over the "psi" and didn't even see it...quite right of course (sorry cartix, no offence intended)

My "dpi" reference is just an old habit from having used PS for so long... back when images were used *only* for printing...before anybody thought of putting them on web sites <grin>. You're right of course, that a file is made up of 'pixels' not 'dots' and should therfore be referenced as 'ppi', but since cartix was asking about printing the file, well.....

and Yes 'dpi' does refer to screen display, but any print shop will tell you that their presses are in fact printing 'dots' and not 'pixels' so they always refer to file resolution as dpi (right or wrong). Suffice to say that a 300ppi file to PS, is a 300dpi file to a printer.

Bottomline (after all my rambling) is; Sorry, Cartix, you're not likely to be very happy trying to blowup a 1x1.5 file to 10x8... at 150ppi, dpi or even psi <grin>...

Thanks for your replys guys. What I ended up doing was to resize image to where it still looked sharp in PS. Then I vectorised it in Illustrator and was able to scale up to size was needed. Looks pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back