Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize Boot (C:) Drive on Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2003
US
All,

I have reviewed the posts here and see some similar situations. I am posting this to see if my problem is unique or if I am going to be stuck with a reinstallation.

I am trying to resize the boot drive (C:) of a Windows 2000 server. The server was configured a long time ago and now we need about 5GB of space to make some backup and SQL functions run correctly.

Software Running: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Small Business Edition.
The system is an HP/Compaq ProLiant ML350 G3.
The drive is part of an array using a Smart Array 641 controller.
The logical volume is partitioned into three different drives. I can resize the other drives using various tools, I cannot resize drive C:.

So far I have done the following:
1. CHKDSK all drives to make sure some error was not getting in the way.
2. Freed up space at the beginning of the partition following the one I want to extend (i.e. cleared space for this partition to expand into).
3. I have tried Partiion Manager and EASEUS software to try and extend C:. Partition manager did not want to work well moving anything. The EASEUS software worked great for everything except for expanding/extending C:.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

Since you have read similar threads you know that extending drive C: is not necessarily a good idea. If you are able to expand the other drives, why can't you move the affected SQL functions to these drives (tempdb and backups can be moved here)
Have you also considered adding more drives to your server?

I have a solution that worked for one of my clients. They had a similar situation. The C:\ partition was becoming too smaller over the years. I upgraded the hard drives in their RAID with a larger size. I first created a ghost image of their server onto a backup hard drive. I installed the new hard drives and set up the new array. Ghost sees the disk is larger and lets you set the partition sizes before re-installing image. Set the C:\ partition to 30GB and let the other 2 use default settings. Rebooted and C:\ partition is now 30GB. Worked great and I got to replace their old hard drives.

Assuming you are not using Dynamic Discs, Acronis Server Disk director will work a treat. I have used the product to resize W2k DC and W2k3 DC boot partitions with 100% success.

The only snag is that the disk needs to be left on basic config. If Dynamic you need to wait as Acronis have just released or about to release a product that can cope.

Aelara.

I have done similar to bracadar on a 2003 server Dell 2600 poweredge. I used norton ghost 7 corp edition. Simply made a ghost network boot disk for my DC and then booted off it and pushed an image up to my ghost server. Then I blew away the raid array and logical volume and removed the 4 - 36Gb drives from the server and replaced them with 5 - 146GB. Again I went into the Raid manger SW and created 1 large Raid 5 container. Next I booted off the Ghost network boot disk and selected to download the image to disk, The old C:\ Part was 7.8Gb so I did serveral test configurations and found that anything larger than(63500mb) as a C:\ and my server would not boot after ghosting. So I set my C:\ to 63.5Gb, Extended my D:\ to around 500gb and run the ghost and it worked fine.

Why is SQL running off of C:? Don't you have other partitions. It's my opinion that C: should contain NOTHING but the operating systems and program files, if the machine is configured properly. If not, most if not everything can be moved off C: and put on drives that are much larger.

If you need help doing this I have a web page put together with a variety of things you can do.

All,

I appreciate all the posts as they are all relevant to the situation. Thank you for taking time in posting/replying.

Just some clarifications on some of the posts….

1. I could move SQL server. The real issue is a specialized application that has to run from C:. It does some custom data dumps from the software and they have no way to not make it use drive C:. This is the only reason I really need the space on C:.

2. On the advice of this post and others I went with Acronis Server Disk director (as a side note – I did try Paragon software and it caused all sorts of issues – just and FYI). The software installed nicely, performed the expansion, said everything was great but……now I have a different issue.

3. Under Computer Mgt., Disk Mgt. Windows reports that I have a 15GB drive C:. Diskpart reports that I have a 15GB drive C:. Unfortunately in reality, My Computer reports that the drive is still only 9GB.

I am guessing the issues are with the array and the way it is managing the space. Acronis has backed off on trying to help saying they are not sure (I did not ask to speak with a level II tech). To their credit they offered a prompt refund of our purchase price without us asking. I have no issues with the software or their support. I am feeling that I am starting to press my luck here.

Any other ideas?

I appreciate the help.

John

lwcomputing,

Nice page reference. I will be using some of your suggestions on this and other servers. I appreciate the help.

John

if its a custom app filling up the disk and you can't reconfigure/move it, then trick it. use a junction/mount point. get another disk or unpartitioned space and mount it under the path where the data is dumped. for example, if the app stores data in c:\program files\custom app\data then shut down the app, rename the data folder to data.old, then make a new data folder. then go into disk management and create a new partition only, instead of assigning it a drive letter map it to that data folder. then, copy (don't move - we want to make sure this works and restores as easy and quickly as possible if it doesn't.) the contents of data.old to data (which will actually be the other disk) and start the app again. If all is well and things are working after a week, delete the data.old file. if not, let us know and maybe we can come up with something else.

John

"I am guessing the issues are with the array and the way it is managing the space."
Extremely unlikely, Windows 2000 has a number of issues reporting the correct size, under certain conditions.

For starters...

What does chkdsk report as to the c: partition size?

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

technome,

Thanks for the Microsoft Link. I will review it tonights. To answer you question, CHKDSK is reporting the drive having 10GB of useable space.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John

Still working on this issue. I am going to spend some time on it over the weekend. I will post back with my results. Thanks again for all who provided help and suggestions.

John

I gotta go with LW on this one. Junction/mount point is the easiest way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back