Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential wiring standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmeche

Technical User
Dec 10, 2005
US
I am helping a company develop standards for in home telephone, internet, and cable TV applications. They are a local CLEC that will be doing fiber to the premises.

I am looking for training material for installers, OSHA safety regs for attic work, and perhaps a few books or guides that a telecom or cable company would use for residential wiring.

I did a lot of commercial work in the past, but no residential supervision.

Any help is appreciated!!

I worked for Pac Bell for 10 years, '80-'90. They invented residential low-voltage. I'd see if you could get a copy of Bell Practices for Outside Plant/Installation/Repair.

Fiber to the premises? (imagine sound of Homer opening a beer).

Adversity is Opportunity

There is a residential guide/standard called the TIA/EIA-570B. It gives a very limited overview, but it is a minimum start to say the least.

You can download a copy here: 18May04.pdf

After reading it you will see why I say that, and why builders don't care and don't "get it".

....JIM....

Usually fiber to the prem stops at the demarc on the outside of the house. From there you convert.

As a fiber, and phone guy myself, I look forward to the day when installing a phone jack means running single mode zip cord to a termination on the wall, but it ain't here yet.

The inside house wiring shouldn't change much from what you've seen in the past, though running cat5 instead of JK, and RG6 instead of RG59 is always a good idea.

As a service provider who does FTTx, we run fiber to the residential box (most of our properties are MDUs).
Patch panel in the box.
From the patch panel, it's either CAT5e or CAT6 to all jacks.
We normally don't use coax because we provide IPTV. The few that do have coax are RG6.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Dearingkr

I would like to talk to you about your IPTV MDU deployment as we plan to do this in our area. Is there some way I can contact you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back