Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential Ethernet Cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrwittnco

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
US
I am a retired programmer so I am fairly computer literate, but I am NOT NETWORK LITERATE. Here is what I have and what I want to do. My apology for the long post.

I have a cable modem from the local cable company that is connected via coax to the cable jack in the wall. From there, an ethernet cable runs to a nearby Belkin wireless router. From the router, another ethernet cable runs to my desktop computer. The wireless portion of the system provides an Internet connect to my laptop which I usually use at the other end of the house. I am told that connecting the desktop through the Belkin router gives me firewall protection.

As it stands, the laptop sometimes has problems getting to the Internet. It doesn't have this problem if I carry it to a location nearer the router. To solve this, I would like to move the wireless router to a spot that is much closer to where I use the notebook. This means running an ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other to provide the connection from the cable modem to the router. Another ethernet cable will also be needed to connect the router back to the desktop.

My question is ... can I run one cable that will handle two ethernet connections? If so, what cable type? I would like to run cable(s) that will provide for future speed upgrades if practical. I read about Cat-5 and Cat-6, but I am not sure what the differences are.

I have no need to run phone or any other signal over this cable, just two ethernet connections. I will do two separate cables if that is what I need. This cabling is going into an existing house so the less I have to run the easier it will be. Moving the cable modem might also be a possiblity, but I would prefer to keep it near the laptop.

By the way, I will have the cabling professionally installed, but the installers I talk to can't agree on what it would take to run the two ethernet cables. One says it can be run on one cable and the other says two cables.

Any help appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if I am not clear on what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Jack

Running two (4 pair) cat5e or better cables would be standard.

It may work by running 1 (4 pair) cable, but that would be asking for trouble such as cross talk, and would not be to standards.

Perhaps the guy who says one cable will work is talking about a special cable that has two separate (4 pair) cables interwoven into what looks like one cable.

With your particular setup you would not notice the difference between cat5e and cat6, but you may want to go with the higher standard if you like "future proofing.

Thanks for replying. That is pretty much what I expected. The guy who said you could run both through one cable didn't really impress me with his knowledge. But since I know very little about ethernet, I thought he might be right.

I will plan to run two cables. If I have both done at the same time maybe the cost won't be that high.

Jack

An antenna upgrade is something I never considered. I checked out the web site you referenced. Then I went to Belkin's web site to look for a compatible antenna.

The search turned up something I never heard of ... Pre-N Networking. The specs given were fantastic: 8 times the range and 6 times the speed of 802.11b.

CompUSA has the router in stock now, but the laptop card is not. It gives an expected "in stock" date of 10/22 (two days ago).

Do you know anything about this format? Sounds like it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see if it becomes available. The prices they are giving seems reasonable. I would spend at least 1/2 that much running ethernet cables.

Jack

N it gonna be the next format. The specs have not been ironed out between all of the manufacturers that is why it is called PRE-N thats about all that, I Know about it other than what I've found on google.

Keep in mind that you're cable modem is only running around 1.5Mbps. Upgrading from your 11Mbps wireless conection wont speed up your internet any. It will however speed up data transfers between your desktop and your laptop. If you are only using the wireless for internet, it would be a lot cheaper to just upgrade the antenna for now and wait for the costs of the newer technology to drop.

-CL

You also could look at a wireless range expander. It works like a repeater and it does not have to be plugged into the network to operate. An antenna might be cheaper though. Let us know what you decide, and how it works for you.

Do you know anything about this format?"

It looks like the marketing boys are trying to screw up standards (again).

In answer to your original question I would run two cables and be done with it. OTOH a better antenna could be a cheaper option, if it works.

Just another option:

Residential wiring is so popular that everyone wants to go out and do it ! [thumbsdown]

If you have a Cat5 > in place then think about it. You don't split the pairs because you won't gain a lot. Running more drops may be a nightmare but again- it all comes back to cost.

Why not use a 3Com Network jack ?

Lots of ways to configure them...and they are cool.

Just another thought.

The older I get, the less I know

I'm not sure what the 3-Com network jack is. I found a friend that is going to help me run two separate cables to the family room. He know how to make the connections to the eathernet-type jacks and he has the tools to install and test it. Turns out he used to work for the tech-support department of a previous employer.

This sounds like the cheapest and an effective way to go.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jack

the 3 com device looks pricey

why not juast add a 4 port linkys switch

I usually carry a couple on the truck for just this porpose or as a temp solution untill we can pull more cable

the 3com device actually fits into a single gang box..correct me if i'm wrong the linksys device doesnt.

That's RIGHT !

Not only that it isn't pricey. Effective ? Highly.

The older I get, the less I know

The 3com device also supports PoE, so you don't even need a wall wart if you have a a switch capable of supplying power.

is a wall wart a transformer?

I,ve never heard that before.

jrwittnok, to get that extra wireless connectivity for your laptop you can replace the wireless router by Belkin. Linksys makes a wirless G router called WRT54G and WRT54GS. Both these models can use thrid party firmware to enhance transmitions and range. Try the Linksys forum for ideas and known issuses. The three parties who make the firmware are Sveasoft (I use), openwrt (I use) and hyperwrt. Sveasoft boots the xmit power of the antennas by 500%. If that still is not enough, you can use a second wireless router as an access point WITHOUT running a cat5 cable to it...free standing mesh (kinda) network.

In the future everything will work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back