Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting resolution that won't display

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilInit

Programmer
Dec 1, 2003
GB
Hi, I've managed to reset my resolution too high for my monitor. I can still boot and use the computer as the resolution was configured for a particular profile. Anyone know how i can boot in safe mode, or from admin reset the resolution of another user/profile? Any help gratefully received!

Hold down the F5 key during the boot process and it should go directly into Safe Mode. You can also hold down the F8 key during the boot process which will give you a boot menu from which you can choose Safe Mode. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your swift reply. However in safe mode i can not log in as user 'neil' for instance, or change the resolution setting (because it's in safe mode?). Apologies if I'm being dumb, I'm hankering after xf86config!!

Holding down "ctrl" key when windows starts
takes away overclocking of display card done in
the drivers . Maybe it reset the refresh rate to default also.

Try removing the Video Adaptor (driver) after having booted in SafeMode, then reboot.

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

Thanks one and all for your help, i don't think i explained myself very well. The installation works fine unless i log onto the LAN, once I've done this the resolution is changed to the configuration for that user. In other words if i go in as safe mode and change the resolution it won't change the configuration of the user 'neil'. Anymore attempts to save me from my own stupidity gratefully received!

right-click desktop and if you have Intel graphics then a video mode should be in right hand side,set to resolution. BUT,if not, right-click\click Properties\click the RIGHT arrow button on keyboard 5 times(this will put you in the Settings page)\click the tab button twice then click the LEFT arrow button twice(this puts you back to 640x480)\click the tab button 4 times and then Enter.

Boot in safe mode
enter registry
And search for VRefresh

The bold one under here is for one particular userlogon
The data is 3c witch is desimal 60
Giving this logon 60hz
xresoultion and yresolution is the screen resolutiom
x=500 y=400 gives 1280x1024

[HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{1174C346-F850-43EA-BCF3-13D491C7C1F1}\0000\Mon22446688]
"Attach.ToDesktop"=dword:00000001
"DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel"=dword:00000020
"DefaultSettings.XResolution"=dword:00000500
"DefaultSettings.YResolution"=dword:00000400
"DefaultSettings.VRefresh"=dword:0000003c
"DefaultSettings.Flags"=dword:00000000
"DefaultSettings.XPanning"=dword:00000000
"DefaultSettings.YPanning"=dword:00000000
"DefaultSettings.Orientation"=dword:00000000
"DefaultSettings.FixedOutput"=dword:00000000
"Attach.RelativeX"=dword:00000000
"Attach.RelativeY"=dword:00000000

Hey thanks again everyone. I've tried the above two suggestions. However the Display Properties window cannot be advanced to the settings tab with the arrow key, or any other key as far as i can tell.

So I looked in the registry and got as far as HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
however in here i've only got PRINTER not VIDEO.

I found the display settings for the local machine in the registry and these reflect the default. This makes me begin to think that the settings for user 'Neil' are being picked up off the network perhaps? Anymore thoughts anyone?

Problem solved folks! Found out it's ctrl-tab to get to the settings tab of the display properties, and managed to navigate in the dark to reduce the resolution. I'm profoundly moved that you all took the time out to help me. BIG UP YASELVES!!!

hey particular thanks compgirlfhredi - you gave me the idea i should have figured out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back