Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting password on Apple OSX Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callahan

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Ok, new job, part of which involves looking after an Apple Mac OSX server. Very little documentation and nobody remembers the last time it was restarted. I had to restart it yesterday for maintenace safe in the knowledge that the documented password was the right one.
It wasn't.
So, now I'm left with the main File Server which can be accessed by the users though their shares but I can't log on. I used the Leopard DVD to try to reset the password but despite trying it several times it refuses to take.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting back into this box?
Sorry if I've been a bit sketchy with the details, I'm by no means an Apple expert.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Ok - couple of questions.

What version of OS X server are you running?

Can you get in touch with the former admin or the person who set up the server?

When you say you used the DVD, did you boot from the DVD and change the password? I've done this many times and had no trouble.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

OSX 10.5.
I did use the standard Leopard 10.5 CD to reset the password as the server CD is unavailable to me. Is this likely to be the problem?
Based on the way the old admin departed the building I would imagine helping me would be at the bottom of his list! ;-)

I'm not certain but I think it would probably have to be done with an OSX Server disc rather than just an OSX disc.

Is root access enabled? You may be able to log in as root and create a new Admin user. However be very careful as you could hose the whole thing and since the server disc is "unavailable" that's going to be a problem.

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Root is available yes, I tried resetting the password to that too but no luck. The server CD is what I'm currently pinning my hopes on now. Will stay back again after work to try it out.
Hopefully, I won't be back!

Thanks for your suggestions.
:)

If you can log in as root then you should be able to see/change the password on the original admin account. If you can't do that then you could create a new user with admin privileges and take it from there.

Or do you not have the root password either? I think that can be reset with the CD... but you don't have it.

Thought about buying a fresh copy of OSX Server? :/

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

jic, the local admin account is called localadmin. i got stymied for a good hour once as the server refused to let me in via Remote Desktop when I was using a network account with admin rights. but played nicely when i used localadmin as the user name.

i still haven't worked out why - if it works, don't kick it...

jic, the local admin account is called localadmin. i got stymied for a good hour once as the server refused to let me in via Remote Desktop when I was using a network account with admin rights. but played nicely when i used localadmin as the user name.

i still haven't worked out why - if it works, don't kick it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back