Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting BCM50 - lost passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcook

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2011
US
I may have to do a level 2 reset on a BCM 50 as the passwords have been lost. It is a basic system, key mode, digital phones, analog trunks. My concern is I will lose any license keys along with the database. Will I be able to restore these files if they exist? There is no documentation or system materials whatsoever.

Thank you for the quick answer. Will the license file be stored in the BCM? I have absolutely nothing to work with since the previous installer is long gone and OOB. If I wipe this clean what licenses will I need since itseems to be a pretty simple install with just a dozen phones, VM and 6 analog trunks. Will Avaya be of any help?

The lic file is stored on the hard drive. If you have a way to read Linux partitions you can read the hard drive, save the lic file, do the level 2 reset, and reload the lic file. Avaya will be no help in this case unless you want to pay through the nose to have them reset the password. You could buy a cheap keycode, like 1 voicemail seat, and you then receive the lic file which includes all other keycodes.

Brian Cox
Oregon Phone

As your BCM 50 isn't in use and that you don't have a backup copy, you could remove the hard disk and use a free utility that is available to read the linux disk contents via a Windows computer. This will enable you to view and copy the keycode file.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks guys. I have Ubuntu running on one of my systems so reading the HD should be no problem.

I am in the same boat, just inherited a BCM50 that will HAVE to be reprogrammed. Also I am brand new to the BCM50 series.

I have the ability to read Linux drives and just question what the name of the license file might be.

Is it as simple as lic?

Like I said, I am brand new to the BCM50 and it workings. All my previous work with Nortel has been in the 11C environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back