Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting a router to manufacturer default

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnyface

MIS
Dec 8, 1999
US
I need to program a router that has a username and password. I do not have this information so I want to clear everything. How do I do this? Is there a jumber inside of the box? The router is a Cisco 2501

We have a 2524 at work, but I believe process should be similar. <br>

1.) You'll need to make or buy a rollover (not a crossover) cable. From RJ45 on one end to other RJ45, the wires progressively roll over, 1=8, 2=7, etc.<br>

2.)You'll also need a RJ45 to DB9(female) adapter. Check to see if the cable and adapter came with your router (Cisco includes them when they ship new).<br>

3.) You'll need a PC running terminal emulation software (HyperTerminal will work).<br>

4.) Set the terminal configuration to VT100 emulation, 9600 baud, 8 stop bits, no parity, and, the tricky part, 2 stop bits, not one.<br>

4.) Connect RJ45 to console port on router, and DB9 to com port on PC.<br>

5.) Turn router on, wait for a few seconds and enter a break command.<br>

6.) A prompt like this > should appear. <br>

7.) Type "o/r 0x142", without the quotation marks, and press enter.<br>

8.) Type "initialize", without the quotation marks, and press enter.<br>

9.) System Configuration dialogue should appear. You can accept the prompts, or respond no and go on to configure as you like from the command line.<br>

<br>

Hope this helps, good luck.

<p>Steve Gubin<br><a href=mailto:sgubin@spsmail.com>sgubin@spsmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Smurfit Press<br>

Systems Manager

Thank You Steve!!<br>
<br>
That worked. I am greatful for your help. Happy Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back