Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reseting Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmort

Technical User
Nov 8, 2005
I have a cse1000, using baystack 460's and a 8600 core router. Problem is that radomly the phones will reset, the dont loose power just reset and need unplugged and replugged in then work fine. We have swapped out phones and switches, checked cableing. Any ideas?

I'm assuming you mean IP Phones... What types and what firmware are you running?

we are on the sucession 4.0 deplos 19, yes they are i2002 and i2004 phones

Are you using the latest (DAX) firmware on the IP Phone 2002/2004? If not, try that first.

yes we have the latest on all phones

the phones do not matter.. the firmware needs to be downloaded on site or at least checked for rls and issue.. being the newest does not mean the firmware of the sets matches the rls on the system.. when we get new stations we have to load the firmware, usually up one rls here and down 2 rls's for another site... two problems that this can cause, soft keys don't always appear when needed and the station can go to sleep for no reason.. we use scheduled downloads during non peak hours to keep our stations at the correct issue, not the newest

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

well how would i find all of the release versions

Are you using the Baystack 460-24T-pwr, how often does this happen and is it system wide.When did you deploy your kit.
I have seen a very similar problem and I would like to compare notes.

we have been on the system for 2 years, system wide im not sure we have 12 buildings and cant get accurate reports on it, but it is on different stacks not isolated to one, and yes 460-25t-pwr, but also had it on 5520-pwr.

yes i have done firmware, diag, and software on the 460's also changed all stack cables and gbics in the switches

I am chasing a similar issue to you,have you changed the complete baystack switch.

I'm suspecting a networking issue rather than a hardware issue. If the phones lose their heartbeat they will reset for sure. At a minimum ensure that any port the phone plugs into has either NO spanning tree or FastLearning enabled.

How often do the phones reset and is it always the same phones, does more than one phone reset at the same time?

The reset is random, and yes it can be 1 phone it could be 10, yes there are a few phones that is happens more often that others

My fault is very similar to one you describe but I have proved this to be a baystack issue, it could be worth providing power for one of the suspect phones from a power block rather than from your baystack and see if this cures thr problem.

my phones dont lose power at all

well powers perfect.. do you ever have a bandwidth problem? it would need to be a pretty bad one, but that can cause the same problem... that problem would show itself on a html by showing a complete statement while your still looking at a blank screen... the same type of congestion that can cause that may cause a station reset...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

best way to save money... go 100 percent voip then hire a layer one geek per station... but you will be state of the art... and you will not need those guys from telcom... friday kind of comment...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back