Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset tty port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToMaC82

Technical User
Jan 23, 2008
US
I was in one of my Option 61 switches the other day and all of the sudden every character that was inputted would return a single "B". I tried it from another computer, and reset the modem that was being used on the switch. None of this had any effect. I let it sit over the weekend hoping that it would 'reset itself'. No luck, as it's still returning B's. Is there something I can do to reset the tty that it is attached to? Has anyone heard of this happening? Do I just need to connect it to another tty?

This is my only means of connecting to the switch so I hope there is something I can do, short of power cycling the entire thing.

is it physically attached at the site to a Terminal?

Mato' Was'aka

No terminal, just a modem for dial-in.

have you jacked with the baud rate at all to see if that would clear it? I have had that happen to me without explaination, my baud has had to be 9600 or 4800 vice-versa after being set and working one way for a long time.

Mato' Was'aka

Changed the baud rate on the modem at the site? Or the baud rate on my computer? Would the baud rate change for no reason, mid-connection? Like I said, I was connected and all the sudden this started happening.

would seem like an xon xoff thing there, or modem couldn't keep up with xfer of data. I would on my computer emulation, wouldn't hurt to try...

Mato' Was'aka

If this is a paddle board on the back of the network shelf, then there is a 90% chance the port went bad. Those commonly go bad and delivering all "B"s is one of the symptoms.

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

GHTrout-
What are my options here? I'm pretty sure there are some free TTY's I can use, but I am unable to see the programming of them since this was my only access to the switch.
Go onsite and start plugging the modem into different ones, hoping they're programmed right?

I've seen this issue several times. If you know what paddle board it is on, you can disable all ports on that board, hardware disable the board, and reseat the board. Once you re-enable everything, it should work. I have also had to "OUT" and rebuild the port in S/W but usually just a reseat will work.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

How am I suppose to disable the board when I have no way of connecting to the switch? This board can't be pulled out until disabled I suppose.

Hook up to the active core. Connect to J25 on the back of the active core with a terminal or laptop and set it to 9600 baud. I wouldn't reseat the paddle board without disabling the ports and hardware disabling the card. You stand a chance of INI'ing the switch.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

I would assume there is a TTY on a desk in that room? If not, then I would hope the phone room phone is set for CLS MTA (Maintenance Allow).

If you're not able to connect to the core, then just hit the switch on the paddle board and pull it out live and push it back in. The worst that will happen is an INI.

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

J21 (Core Modem) with a NUL Modem adapter. J25 (Core Terminal)without a NUL Modem adapter.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

Any documentation on disabling the ports/board? Help didn't really return anything useful.

LD 37
.DIS TTY x
.DIS TTY y
.DID TTY z

~~~

GHTROUT-
What about the paddle board? Or is disabling the ports sufficient? Also, where is the board even located? Are there multiple boards? Are they numbered? I want to get as much info as possible before I go on-site with no internet access :)

Well, we don't even know if it _is_ a paddle board yet :)

How many board cannot be determined without looking or printing the ADAN

However, they are located behind the square plate on the back of the CPU/NET modules. Pull off the door, then use a dime to twist the four lock screws on the plate.

Disabling all the TTY ports on that board and flipping the switch is all you need to do (to do it the proper way).

You will have wanted the LD22 REQ PRT TYPE ADAN to know what is what.

~~~

GHTROUT-

Thanks once again! I was able to connect into core 0, disable all the TTY's that were on the same board as TTY4, reseat the card and once they were enabled everything was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back