Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahali

Technical User
Jan 30, 2007
DE
Hi there,

our users are not very satisfied with the fact, that, if a report runs a 2nd, 3rd, etc. time the prompt shows the values, which were last selected, so they have to reset the prompt themselfes in order to select new values. Is there any option to reset a prompt automatically when recalling a report?

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings,

Mahali

I've read you request a couple of times, but will users not have to select a new value in any case? Does it really matter that it shows the last selected value (seems pretty handy to me) The storage is probably from cache, which means you would need to flush it somehow

Ties Blom

Hi Thies,

we have a prompt with different filters, e.g. a customer can be selected via a preselection of a customer group or a sales rep. Let's say I am first selecting a customer group by using a drop down menu, then, as a result I get a list of all customers and can select one or more from that list.
If I have checked the report with this specific filter I might want to look for a certain customer, of who I only know the sales rep. What I have to do then is unselecting the previous customer group selection before I can effectively use the sales rep filter, so this is the extra step, which is bothering our users.

Sorry, that I might not have made the problem more understandable in my first post - I hope I have done better now?

greetings,

Mahali

Hi! When you say the users run the report a 2nd or 3rd time, are they running it from the link in Cognos Connection or from the "run" icon that's shown when the report is displayed? If they're running it from the link, you may need to disable their write permissions so that the prompts don't get saved back.

hth..jean

Hi Jean,

thank you very much for your answer! The users are re-running the report from the "run" icon that's shown in the report. I already checked the permissions, but the already only have the permission to read, execute and transit :-(

I am thinking the whole time if there is not some "trick" with JavaScript or something like that? It's a very long time ago since I worked with HTML-Coding and stuff, but there is a vague idea of a function which resets JavaScript forms - unfortunately I have not been able to find anything appropriate.

I will let you know, if I find something!

Kind regards,

Mahali

Hi! I'm trying to duplicate the behavior and my prompts reset to defaults after using the "Run" icon. Can you please tell me what type of prompts they are, do you have a static default value set?

thanks...jean

Hi Jean,

there are two types of prompts: drop-down lists as cascading sources and list-fields (I hope my translations are correct, as I am working with the german version). There is no static default value set, the contents for the lists are set up in queries - so if the report is called for the first time there are no values selected yet.
Do your prompts have default values then?

But in the meantime I have found my lost JaveScript-workaround: I have inserted a HTML-element on the prompt page, which looks like that:
<a href="javascript:document.forms[0].reset()">Reset form</a> - and this is working quite good.
I hope it is also sufficient for the users, who always would like everything to be automatized...

Thank you very much again for your help!

Kind regards and have a nice day,

Mahali

Hi Jean,

unfortunately I just discovered that my solution is not working as fine as I thought it would - in fact it is only working for prompts with single selects, but not for prompts with the possibility to select multiple values :-(

Greetings,
Mahali

Hi! My prompts are 1: drop-down from query (single selection/required), 2: drop-down from query auto-submit (single selection/required) default value set from static collection in prompt and 3: list-box cascaded from prompt 2 (multi-select/optional). I've run the report with a multi-select in prompt 3 and then hit the "run" button on report. Prompt page is displayed same as first run.

Anything else that could help me duplicate your issue??

jean

Hi Jean,

sorry for my late response, but I was on vacation the last days and left work far behind me ;-)
I have no idea why there is this different behaviour and at the moment there is nothing which comes to mind, how you could further duplicate my issue. So I think I am going to contact support or something like that, mayby there is an easy explanation which hides from me...?

Thank you again very much for your help and have a nice day.

Kind regards,
Mahali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back