Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reset problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfloor

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
CA
i have an celeron 900mhz and it keeps reseting.
i tried changing the hdd but it did not work.
i tried changing the o/s but that did not work
i tried chaning the cd rom and that did not work.
i tried chaning some of the bios settings and...you guess it, it did not work. it originally had windows xp on it.
it is a fairly new computer...about 6 months old.
its a clone

Memory or motherboard. What exactly do you get when it resets (messages and the like) ?

it just starts loading again and scandisk runs or checkdisk
some times it might get that far and some times it may not
when i was setting up windows everytime i tried to open the cdrom it would reset

I would strip it down to the basics. Connect just the power, cpu, memory and video. Before you turn it on I would clear the cmos by taking the battery out for 10 sec. just to clear any configurations. With all the messing aroung the computer gets confused. Then if that stays on after you turn it on, then one by one add a device. Eventually you will find the culprit. If it doesn't work it could be your motherboard. :{
Did you say a known good working hard drive doesn't work on it? Not your old one.
Cindy

i known hdd works on it and i can get through windows instalation just fine(sometimes) i once put windows 2000 on it and left it overnight and it did not reset. its got me busting my brains (what little i have)

thanks for all responses

Umm sometimes there could be a grounding or cooling problem...try it Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

It could be something as simple as a bad or loose power cord.

Simple to check. Just jiggle the cord at both ends and see if computer resets.

Usually, this type of problem occurs from one of four things, or perhaps two, three or all together if your unlucky.
#1 - Your power supply is faulty. (Simply try another power supply. Make sure it is of sufficient wattage)
#2 - Your processor is overheating. (Make sure your fan is positioned on your CPU soundly, has is got enough paste on it?)
#3 - You have a metal spacer behind the motherboard in the wrong place, causing the board to short & computer to reset. (Remove it)
#4 You have a faulty stick of memory. (Test with another stick you know works)

thanks for all the response people
i took i break from it today,will try tommoro will let you know if your suggestions work.

If its running XP.... make sure the setting to reset on fault is disabled. You may be getting the dreaded blue screen of death..... but it resets so you cant see it. ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back