Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reset problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekwanabe

Technical User
Jul 20, 2005
US
My comp has begun to reset its self at some points through out the day. I dont know what to do. I checked out the power no problem there. N E tips???

Try to:

1. Replace the Power Supply
2. Check/Replace RAM modules
3. Check for Viruses...

4. check the fans for bloackage causing overheating.
5. Check for leaky and swollen caps.( reference.
6. when it does a reboot, go into bios, and see what the temp is of the cpu, if it has that function.
7. check the system logs for any errors, that might have happened right before the reboot.
8. run spybot,hijack this, and a good antivirus program.
9. download and run the hard drive test from the hdd makers web site.

It may help to change the machines behaviour on error so you can see the reason for the reboots.

Right-click on My Computer
Select Properties
Select Advanced
In the Start up and Recovery section, select Settings; this displays the Startup and Recovery dialog box
In the Write debugging information section, select kernel memory dump
While still in the Start up and Recovery dialog box, ensure that the following options are checked in the System failure section:

Write an event to the system log
Send an administrative alert

And this is UNchecked so you can see the BSOD

Automatically restart

The if you get really curious you could follow the instructions found here to see what really going on (Thanks to MichiganRon for posting this tip here )

Hi
Thank you for your help. I replaced the powersupply, and folloed stduc's instructions and it hasent reset for 1 day. Thank you agin i appreciate it.

Geekwannabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back