Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset Forgotten Password on Linksys Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockVSJock

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US

I've forgotten my password and user id on my Linksys BEFSR41 Router.

Is there anyway I can reset it back to the default settings?

thanks

-Chris

Hold down the reset pin on the front of the router for about 10 seconds. That should reset it all to factory defaults.

JockVSJock,

I have heard that you may need to hold it in as much as 30 seconds. Wait until the red DIAG light comes on and goes off completely to reset to factory defaults.

The Old Man

When these routers are feeling real stupid the reset button dance is a waste-o-time. The correct procedure for your problem is stupidly linked and hard to find in the Linkmeister KB. Go to linksys.com find the Knowledge Base
opening page. Enter this in the top or bottom LINE:

KB10934111

Then bling you're there. You'll see a two procedure process where I suggest you bypass number 1 for Number 2.
This has never failed me yet, and is always preferable to a firmware wipe and write, which is mistakenly thought to be a global default state restorer.

With Linkys, where there's a will there's a workaround.

-Smellydoberman

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

theoldman346's solution works fine. The reset button has two states: one is essentially a reset after a short push of the reset button. The looooong hold of the reset button will cause the red diag lite to come on after about 15 seconds, and then after flashing all lites, the red diag lite will go off. I recommend you pull the power at that point for 15 seconds and then replug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back