Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset file permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpet

Technical User
May 18, 2007
GR
Hi

I have a windows 2000 server that was domain controller. I have changed the server and i have removed the domain configuration from the old server. I have forgot to make a backup to a directory(Big mistake) and now when i am trying to access the directory i am getting access is denied.
I have tried to reset permissions and take ownership failed.

Any ideas please

Are you logged on to local administrator, not a domain account to "take ownership"?

Is the directory below a root folder? try checking the box to "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here" and on the Owner tab check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and apply it.

HOW TO: Take Ownership

I know you probably know this, but just putting it in here. After Ownership is taken, then you can modify the security.

Also through command prompt, use CACLS:

How to use Xcacls.exe to modify NTFS permissions

Hi
I have already tried this i have tried to take ownership same thing and i have also tried cacls same thing happened also
Is there a difference between cacls and xcacls
I did not tried xcacls i will try it and let you know

Thanks for the reply

Sorry if my english are bad

You may also need to check for corruption...start with a full disk check...select both options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back