Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resellers and vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvergun82

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2012
US
thread693-1691100

DO we have to deal with our current reseller (which turned ncr). Have the same crooked sales employee thats not willing to help... We have 6 store in Texas area. I wanted to know if there is anyone out there that will just sell me what i need... NOT WHAT THEY ARE FORCING US TO SELL! we are under their mercy and this is crazy...

i want a simple goal of adding 2 terminals from existing 8 terminals. Our boh file server runs a windows xp. I was told by the sells rep that I need to upgrade the boh server thats running winxp professional to windows 7 to accommodate the 2 new terminals. Now they are trying to say it was windows 2008 server OS that requires better hardware. I know for a fact that winxp professional could run max of 10 terminals.. WE HAVE 8 terminals! and want to add just 2 terminals! and since our file server is pretty old, I was willing to get a new file server also.

Win7 Pro would work just fine and you would be surprised what it will run on, I run it on AthlonXP single core PC's just fine. If you contact NCR and explain you are not happy with your reseller, I believe they will try and resolve your problems with the reseller and if you cannot come to an agreement you can be transfer to another reseller. Tell your reseller you are familiar with RFS and would like to go that route.

Remote File Storage.pdf

Depending on what version of Aloha you are running, RFS for aloha can be used in i believe version 6.2 and higher which will allow you to bypass the installation of a Windows Server environment.

Unfortunately most POS vendors and retailers have an agreement to protect licensing. I know with Aloha your current dealer is the only one capable of changing / adding / upgrading licenses. You can request another Radiant dealer to service you but you must be in good standing with your current dealer. They have to release you to the new dealer of your choice and that all has to go through NCR.

When I worked for an Aloha dealer we had several leave us and several we picked up, and it was not possible to access licenses, support tools and request hardware warranties between dealers.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Don't resist the Win 7 OS on the NCR back office server... XP expires in April of 2014 so if your running your credit cards through the POS you need to move to 7 anyways.

Im not resisting for windows 7. I want to upgrade to windows 7 for my boh. But ncr sales rep is making us purchase win 2008 server for our boh, and she states that our 10 terminals will not work under windows 7. Is this true in any way?? They are telling me windows 7 boh will run maximum of 8 terminals.

From the the Windows 7 license agreement -

"f. Device Connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services."

I'm not saying they are trying to be deceitful, more likely they are unaware that Win7 supports 20 connections. I too thought it was 10 until there was a discussion about this. Even without this if you were to use RFS it wouldn't matter. You do not need Server 2008, although it is a very nice OS and I definitely prefer it over Win7 for a business environment.

Unless architecture of Aloha has substantially changed, you also be running dangerously close to your connection limit for your Master terminal as well. In your case, you should probably be fine, but I always got a little nervous when using XP on the FOH approaching 10 terms because sometimes there are other connections that need to be made beyond the Aloha software or behind the scenes for other applications.

What Dauphin2 says regarding the Windows 2008 is true, they may be telling you what they'd rather see it on it than what you want - possibly more an issue of their preference. Where I absolutely disagree is that Windows server environments require more expensive hardware. It's true that they generally cost more because they are doing more powerful jobs (and the OS is more), but that's really not the case with most Aloha installations. I've installed 2008 on plenty of consumer-grade hardware (i.e. nothing all that fancy) with excellent results.

I am not sure what has changed in the days of NCR, but generally speaking you're stuck with your dealer. The truth is, in probably 50% or more of cases, it's a just a simply a matter of the merchant being angry about prices or not wanting to pay an old invoice. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of legit service complaints against Aloha dealers, but it's hard for the developer to sort it all out. The way most companies handle this is the dealer has to agree release the client to another dealer, but sometimes they'll do it without dealer consent in extreme cases.

As long as you enable RFS on aloha, you won't need windows 2008 server. If you go without RFS then you will need windows 2008 server on the boh

Thank you ao much for the info everyone. But they insist on win 2008 server. I have no other way but to go with their offer.

Texas cash register. Tcr. Now recently bought out by ncr corp. But same sales rep and management.. we regret the decision to go with aloha, we have now 6 locations all with aloha pos, too late to drop aloha for micros or any other pos.

It's never too late to change POS systems. Mostly you are swapping software only. I would like to to check out focuspos.com. A bunch of old aloha guys made some awesome pos software for the price. It'll do fine dining, casual,fast food, kiosk, delivery, takeout, loyalty, gift, inventory, online and much more. All in one package not several mis matched software programs. And oh yea it has iPad and iPod as well. I sell 2 other high end products but lead with this one. And try are out of Texas. It will run on any windows terminals.
Focuspos.com.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back