Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reseating a laptop motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortis2000

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
GB
Hi, a couple of months ago, I bought a samsung P25 laptop and a couple of weeks back it stopped working. As it was still under warrenty, i sent it back and on the report when it was returned it said that they reseated the motherboard. A week after I got it back, the same thing has happened. Is it a huge job to do myself or am I just better off sending it back?

my advice is if the same problem occur again is to send it again to the company, the reason are

1) the computer is under warranty
2) if the same problem occur after warranty period, you wont have any proof the problem occured again.
3) i saw case where we could have a replacement of a laptop after having the same problem a few time.

You also want to be aware that if you open the case, you will more than likely void your warranty, thus making them unliable for any future failures that occur. I would send it back and make sure they know that it has failed the same way within a week.
"Reseating the motherboard" sounds like a really vague and probably conconted resolution. Reseating individual cards (in desktops at least) is common, but in laptops and with motherboards, it is somewhat unlikely (tho not totally unheard of). In my opinion, they either did something else, or did nothing, but who knows.
Good luck.

Yeah I see your points but i'm just not so sure that they will do anything different to before. If I (or a friend of mine) have a go at it, I know it will void the warrenty but there is only 9 months left on it and I may be able to fix it more permanently.

If anyone knows of any links or tutorials that may help me then I would be very very greatful.

I'd recommend sending it back. It's not as easy as you may think to disassemble a laptop computer, nor are there many serviceable parts once inside. I'd use the warranty to its fullest extent.

Usually, there isn't that much to reseat. And it is other stuff that reseats into the M/B.
Something that takes reseating to work is suffering from corrosion, and intermittent contact, or a failing cable.

I would give it one more shot, and if it fails again you have justification for a M/B replacement. Under warranty.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm somewhat curious as to the manufacturer of the laptop if you're willing to void a warranty that you probably paid a good price for. Can you tell us who it was?

Yeah, it's a Samsung P25 so it was a lot of money which is why im not so sure they are doing their job if it has done the same thing a week after they had "fixed" it. You see I live in England and it has to be sent to Ireland to be fixed so i will be without it for over a week and I bought this one because it is very very secure and has everything that i need for my business, it was £1525 and im not so sure I like the idea of a bunch of guys that know the machine inside and out having all of my business info and all of the info of the companies that I design the websites for and the details of the people i fix PCs for.

You may want to look into what type of hard drive is installed. And whether you could swap in another one for them to use while fixing. And of course, whether you could get an adapter and put it into some other computer to use while the laptop is gone.

Basically, guess I'm saying you need some backup, and some way to protect your data.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes , when you do an RMA they even tell you to make backups of your stuff because they cant guarantee no harm would be done.

A glass of water can be or half empty or half full. For engineers, its twice bigger than needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back