Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rescuing orphaned archived message objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekube

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2007
While migrating to a new PC, I damaged my archives by not watching carefully in which direction I was copying. Empty database and index overwrote those of my source archive leaving behind the message objects but completely cutting off my access to them.

Tried the GWcheck utility thinking it might rebuild the database and indexes based on the messages present. It did not detect any problems to fix, so that is not my answer.

I still have hope (little) that there is some way of re-populating the pointers in the DB and Index files based on these message files sitting in the archive directory. It's a year's worth of archives that I do not want to lose.

From memory, not done this for a few years :p

Work on a copy of the OFXXXARC directory

Remove the NGWGUARD.* files, USER.DB, MSG.DB, INDEX directory, and NGWCHECK.DB

Open GroupWise Client as the user, send yourself a message then open the archive File > Open Archive (creates NGWGUARD.DB, NGWGUARD.DC, and USER.DB)

Back in the Inbox archive the mail sent to yourself

Goto the archive directory, delete the new MSG.DB, copy in the good MSG.DB from your original archive

GWCHECK the Archive - use the standalone GWCHECK!!
Use ReCreate User Database

All the messages should come back BUT will be in the cabinet - need to be refiled....

If it doesn't work the MSG.DB is probably a goner :(

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back