Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Res3700 5.74 Sim format command text limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrobert

Programmer
Apr 27, 2002
US
We have recently upgraded to win 10 and res 5.74

I have a lot of custom Sims that use the format command to form a text string to send to a sql server database
they have worked fine for years but it seems Micros has drastically reduced the limit on the size of a string
you can use. Has anyone run into this and found a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hey Azrobert,
I don't think the size limit on variables changed, and Format is still the best way to build your sql commands. However i seem to remember a change where they have done something with DateTime values that are returned frm SQL as well as how you need to send them. I think you need to "escape" the ":"(column) in your datetime strings and they send back escaped values.

Hope this helps

I'm kind of thinking it wasn't the variable length that changed but what the format command can handle. After the upgrade all my Sims are erroring in the format command with a length error. For now my solution has been to shorten the names of all my stored procedures and work with some of the data to shorten it inside the Sim procedure.
Code:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back