Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Res protocol (res://) no longer renders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNameNonumber

Programmer
Nov 27, 2007
GB
Running Ultimate x64 fully patched. Having a problem where by windows (and IE7) does not render the html that is output by objects using the res protocol (such as services.msc the advanced tab is all html and as such I can no longer use, have to use basic). I really don't want to format before SP1 but the issues is becoming quite annoying. Has anyone experienced this or knows of a fix.
Thanks,
NoNameNoNumber

Have you tried reregistering these .dll?

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

There might be a few clues in some of these Google links, but probably not a lot of help.

Is System Restore an option?

How about Safe Mode?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

No help there I'm afraid. I'm quite sure its something to do with IE7 more than anything but I can't roll back as I have installed many different applications since the issue began.

Do you have the same problem if you log on as a different user?

Have you tried running the System File checking program?

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

Installing and reinstalling Windows

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect.

res needs to be reregistered much like HTTP ...

t’s part of the new feature called Default Programs. It’s different to Windows XP’s SPAD (Set Program Access and Defaults) in that Default Programs is primarily controlled at the per-user level instead of per-machine level (out of the box! And does not rely on 3rd party programs to do the right thing). As part of this Default Programs, the default browser settings are now stored under “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\ Associations\UrlAssociations\[ftp|http|https]”. Windows Vista’s shell will launch a URL with an application associated with the URL’s protocol based on the value of these registry keys. Browsers that were not aware of this change broke on Vista, they were simply unable to set itself as default browser (they saw themselves as default browser although shell didn’t think so because the twos were looking at 2 different registry keys).

source: How Does Your Browser Know that It’s Not The Default?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I assume Windows did not come configured that way as the res protocol is so deeply tied with IE and windows.

I was a little confused by:
... does not render the html that is output by objects using the res protocol...
I see you're just referring to the normal function of res: though, retrieving HTML resources from a PE file.

I can't imagine this being broken either. It's used a lot by lots of software. I suppose there may be Vista restrictions on using it to reach outside your program's activation context now though.

Are you saying this used to work on this Vista installation but no longer does since some change or update?

I wasn't even aware that IE6 can successfully be installed on Vista. I'm sure there are hacks, and of course there's always the VPC approach to run an XP image. So I doubt it's an IE7 issue or that anything can be done using IE6 as a remedy.

My Google-fu doesn't come up with any other reports (except perhaps another of yours?) with this behavior. My guess is that you're doing something "illegal" in Vista, such as touching a protected resource in an inappropriate manner. But of course there is no telling what may have happened if patching has altered a registry setting somewhere. Does it work in a clean Vista installation?

Yes worked fine until one day when IE7 randomly did not render html on any page. Reboot and it renders html over http fine. I then notice that services.msc does not render (like in the pic attached originally). Have never mentioned IE6 but Vista does require IE7 to render certain things (parts of the res protocol) and I believe that is where the fault is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back