Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

requirement for redundancy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin911

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2004
CA
is windows 2000 server able to do redundancy or you need to go with advance server. I have to setup 2 servers to do redundancy those 2 servers will have disk mirroring.

Thanks,

Martin

It depends on what type of redundancy you are looking for. Advanced includes the clustering service, but this is only for cluster aware programs; such as Exchange or SQL. You can use the clustering service for any application.

Something like DHCP can be redundant without clustering; two servers running DHCP, splitting up the address ranges.

All version of Windows 2000/2003 server can perform disk mirroring.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

What i exactly want to do is setup 2 servers that will act has a website with our applications running for our clients. Once a client login it establish a connection on that server. Those servers will be running SQL so i will need windows 2000 advanced server right?

SQL server can run on any version of Windows server.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I know that sql server can run on any windows server but its for the replication of the SQL database will i need to work with Windows Advance server or Windows 2000 server would work ?

can't cluster Windows 2000 server...need windows 2000 advanced server for clustering

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

Martin911,

It would greatly help if you explained what you are trying to do so we could understand the problem (if there is one).

All servers can do Raid functions, but the drives can not be in basic mode if you do software RAID. If your server does hardware RADI, then make the RAID drives Basic drives.

If your problem is that you want to do clustering, then the problem is more complex, the servers must be hardware specified to be able to be cluster servers, and you must use the Advanced Server software.

If you are not using clustering, you do not need Advanced Server, and SQL runs just fine under the standard server, unless you need to cluster it.

HTH,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back