Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

required files to run VB6 executable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

malaize2

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
US
Hello,

I have 3 VB6 executables that are running on a Win2kserver. I am setting up a new Win2003 server and need to have these executables running on it. What runtime files are required so the executables will run? I looked at the add/remove programs list on the Win2kserver and saw 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable' listed. Does anyone know why this would be necessary to run the VB6 programs?

Thank you,

There are a few files that most VB executables require. Among them

- msvbvm60.dll
- olepro32.dll
- stdole2.tlb
- asycfilt.dll
- oleaut32.dll

Most of those will be present on target machines running XP (not sure about NT).

However, inclusion of other libraries, references, controls, etc. in your project can cause MANY more required components to be added. About the only way to make sure that you are getting all the required components is to prepare an install package using the P & D Wizard or VS Installer to build an msi installer package.

Hi Golom,

Thanks for the help. So my Win2003 should already have those 5 files then. How would I go about preparing an install package?

Thanks,

malaize2

From the START button

All Programs / Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Tools / Package & Deployment Wizard

and follow the prompts. The file "Setup.Lst" that the process generates contains a list of all the modules that were required by the program.

Hi Golom,

Oh, so I have to have the Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 installed? I don't see that it is installed on the Win2kserver.

Thanks, malaize2

So how you got these executables on server in first place?
Probably you already have installer (install package) somewthere around

I don't of course, know how your development environment is configured, but Visual Studio is usually installed on the development machine. On my machine the P & D Wizard is in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\PDCMDLN.EXE

Hello,

So is anyone for sure if I have to have VB6 installed in order to run VB6 executables?

Thanks a lot,

malaize2

You mean the VB6 development environment?

No you don't ... but you do have to install the various DLL, OCX, etc., files on which your executable depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back