Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Required fields in MS Word Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryest

Programmer
Dec 26, 2006
US
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question. If it isn't please forgive me and point me to the right place. Thanks.

My question is this. Is there a way to make a Form in MS Word that has fields that the user would be required to answer before they could save the form? Thanks

Mike

This is as good a place to start.

Are you asking about a userform (a displayed created dialog with fields to fill in), or fields in the document itself?

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

What I have is basicly a check list that I want to users to fill out and send in to me. I need to make sure that every item on the list is answered.

You did not answer the question. I will ask it again.

Are you asking about a userform (a displayed created dialog with fields to fill in), or fields in the document itself?

Gerry

I am sorry I didn't understand. This is a document with form fields. There are no dialogs with fields. I am just looking for a way to force the user to answer every question and not skip any. Thanks for your time.

If they are formfields, the user can jump around as much as they like. There is no inherent order to them. This means that yes, they can skip one.

You have two options.

1. Assume that they will move through in order, from first to last. Have an OnExit macro for the last formfield that goes back and checks to see if all the formfields have entries. It would be pointless to have the same checking for each formfield, as it would be a lot of repeated processing.

2. Do the checking on document save. When they save the document, check to see if all the formfields have values.

Of the two, I would pick #2. The issue is WHEN do you do the checking. The checking part is not difficult, but WHEN do you do it.

Gerry

Great. Thank you Gerry. I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back