Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

required field

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwhispers

Programmer
Jun 21, 2000
ZA
Hi

I am new to Powerbuilder, i am using 6.5. On this form i need to change, i have to implement a required field on a form. The way i am assuming one does this is right click on the text box, in the edit section select required, then rebuild the libary file and replace?

i have done this but the field still does not expect a value, if i leave it blank it allows it, does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

tia

Hi

I assume by "field on a form" you still mean a column in a datawindow - object in a datawindow-control on a form.

What do you want to "replace" after rebuilding?

In the DataWindow-Painter, is "DisplayOnly" checked? What does "Limit" say?

replace the old library file yes?

limit = 0
display only is not checked

What about "Empty String is Null"? If that's checked, zero-length entries would validate. Btw.: are there any validation rules in your DataWindow?

What is an "old" library file? Why do you need to replace it?
PBLs are used in Targets which are part of a Workspace. So where do you take it from and where to you put it for "replacement"?

yes i take it from a different source to where i put it, i understand the concept of what you saying but i am using new libary files..
that replace the old, you know copy in explorer and paste?(this is after i have rebuilt it)

empty string is null is not checked, where do i find the validations if there are any?

maybe you should rebuild the whole app instead of just the individual library.

column validation rules are set up in the datawindow-painter, in the lower part of it there should be a "Column Specification" - strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back