Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

require help with publishing a site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabellagb

Technical User
Oct 6, 2003
GB
I have developped a dynamic site using MX using my local server to test it. I had set up DSN connections. I am now ready to publish on the remote server. My ISP tells me to use DSNless connections and to upload my databases in the "private" folder
I am utterly confused , I don't know where to start. Do I need to cancel the existing connections?
Do I need to go through each asp page and set up a new connection for each one of them? How do I do that? Do I upload the databases first them define new connections? Will each page be updated with the new connection?
Thank you for helping me make sense of this confusion

They are probably talking about something like this. First off, the private folder. With front page extentions, the "_private" folder is set to not allow people to download your database through a simple request to the server. would not allow me to download that. This folder is where I put mine.

The second, well.. I am not good with Database connections. What dreamweaver ultradev did was it would write code in the Connections folder and setup the database connection string for you. Then it just included that file at the beginning of each page you interact with your database.

<cfinclude file=&quot;Connections/mydb.cfm&quot;>

.:The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails:.

Thank you mcsolas for your reply.

I understand the need to put the database in the private folder.

As for the connection to the database, it looks as if, from what you say, if I write a new connection string to replace the DSN connection, Dreamweaver will write a new connection file and put it in the folder.
Then if I still understand you, I will have to manually go to each page and change the code where it tell the page to interact with that connection file :
<%@LANGUAGE=&quot;VBSCRIPT&quot; CODEPAGE=&quot;1252&quot;%>
<!--#include file=&quot;Connections/ConstringonlineShop.asp&quot; -->

Then, as far as I can see, I will have to go through each page and also make sure the recorsets as well as the insert behaviours etc.. point to the new connection.

Dreamweaver does not make the changes automatically, as far as I see.[ponder]

If you change your local connection to a dsnless one using Server.MapPath then all your files will now use the correct connection.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back