Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RequestLive against a TQuery component

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
We're testing speed of connections using components against Paradox tables on a network server. We're seeing that a series of TQuery components takes longer to open than the equivalent data being accessed through standard TTable components. However if we set the 'RequestLive' property of the TQuery to True then it opens significantly quicker.
I would not have expected this - I would have thought if anything it would take longer to open.
Can anyone explain this ? Why does setting the 'RequestLive' property to True allow it to be opened quicker ??
Thanks in advance
Steve

RequestLive performs a bit like a filter on the recordset. It has to try to define what records will fit to be displayed and this is what takes the time. Requestlive false just grabs all the records matching your criteria. So it's with it true it's almost doing a query and then a filter.

A bit of a paradox (sorry) but there you go.

Surely this (any my own) logic would indicate that opening a TQuery with RequestLive set to True would take longer than when it is set to False. However I am seeing the opposite - it takes less time to open a TQuery when RequestLive is set to True than it does when set to False.
This contradicts the logic surely ?
Any advice ?
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back