Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting Data Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
I currently have 5 locations all separated by T1 links, 4 of these locations have their own exchange server all of which exist in the same site.

A few months ago we needed to replace the mail server hardware in our central site as well as rename the server, so instead of forklifting the mailboxes I created a new server in the site. I moved the primary server role from the old to the new and then moved all the mailboxes using the TOOLS / MOVE MAILBOX command from Exchange admin.

Since that time, all the users in our 5th location (which previously didn't have their own Exchange box) started getting the "Requesting Data" popup in Outlook whenever they did anything.

Initially we thought it might be a client issue, so we completely removed and re-created the mail profiles on each user's workstation but the problem remained. In addition, any new users setup on the server have the same problem.

To help remedy this we decided to install an Exchange server at that location and move all their mailboxes from the primary site to their office, thinking it might be because their exchange box wasn't local.

After doing so we still get the "Requesting Data" box at a majority of the workstations. And their mail server is now on the same LAN.

Next I shelled out $250 to Microsoft, and their only solution was to make a registry change to the workstations so the box doesn't appear, and they blame the network.

To rule this out I have tried taking a new Cisco 3550 and connecting only the mail server, a BDC and a client PC and the same problem occurs.

I have tried defragmenting the store and still no luck.

Help please, I am out of hair.

This may sound daft but watch out for OutlookXP using Instant messanger. On some PC's its fine on identical (and I mean identical Dell Factory installed) it runs like a pig! Turn it off and everything runs fine.

I know its not really relivant but for others searching.

Iain

A couple things...

We found to have the problem because we are running an enterprise blackberry server. It makes so many RPC calls that it causes congestion.

Also, outlook 2000 and prior did not have the option to show cancel request, that option is only avalable in Office xp and 2003. And for those of you using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 5.5, make sure you find the hotfix for store.exe before you crash your server.

Sorry, but name resolution is not the problem here, all the workstations in question as well as the mailserver can ping both by name and by IP without broadcasts. Wins is fine, DNS is fine. This is the first thing we checked.

We have checkd the ping by name and IP, the response is <1ms. It is not a network issue for us. All the data in this thread has been great but we still have the problem of random &quot;requesting data&quot;. I think the option of turning off the notice is our answer at least according to MS.

I think virus scanning on large stores (especially lots of attachments) is the most common cause of this problem.

We found it pretty quick because our exchange server had been running for years with no issues until we switched to CA Innoculatit.

Performing a full scan of the store so that all the attachments in the store get marked as scanned (took all night) and THEN enabling background scanning (so that a new backlog of unscanned attachments did not build up) did it for us.

This makes it seems like the new scanners don't scan all attachments as they come in, only before allowing access?
Couldn't really get a straight answer on that question from CA support. They just blamed that and a lot of other things I don't like (notifications that don't tell what machine or user is submitting mail with viruses etc.) on the new Virus API.

Our problem started when we moved a large number of users from an Exch server in our main location to their own Exch server at their site, the problem started long before we ever installed any virus software on that server, Groupshield or Netshield. In fact, the problem started as soon as the server was turned on for the first time, making me believe (and I still do today) that it is Exch 5.5 over Win2k that is the problem. Regardless of what MS says.

Well I said most common, there is definitely more that one cause for this.

There is definitely not a generic problem with all Win2K and Exchange 5.5 installations though. We installed/transferred it that way for several clients without any problems.

Possibly you are 2K and a fully Active Directory domain? I've read about some client issues with 5.5 in Active Directory environments. I recall something about adding each machine into active directory onbce to get AD to &quot;handshake&quot; with it but I haven't worked with that configuration yet.

i too have experienced this problem with our organization, we are running nt 4.0, sp6a snd exchange 5.5, sp4 with about 140 mailboxes all using outlook 2000, 3 end users using outlook 2003 and 1 using outlook xp, only the 2 latest versions running outlook xp and 2003 experience this problem, none of the outlook 2000 users have this problem.

Perach - I would go back through this thread and check out all the proposed solutions, there is a lot of good information here.

I will tell you, however, that none of the solutions proposed above worked for my problem, users still get the message box frequently during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back