Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenroush

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me what would cause Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") to return a null??

This was working fine for us until a collegue made a change in the server's security settings. I suspect a connection, but don't know enough to figure it out.

Thanks

At the risk of clearly demonstrating my ignorance, I need you to explain "IIS", and how I would verify that 'anonymous authentication' is not allowed?

IIS is the web software that comes with Windows 2000 and XP. You need to open it up administrator tools\Internet Services Manager, expand down to Default Web Site right click\properties\Directory Security\Edit Uncheck Anonymous Access. OK back to the IIS console, right click Default Web Site\Stop then right click Default Web Site\Start - retest.

You need to setup the website as an intranet zone in your IE settings. Then the LOGON_USER will work properly.

ralphtrent has the right idea... to see the actual username you need to uncheck the "Allow anonymous" on the directory sercurity tab.

Jim

Thanks to each of you. I solved the problem based on ralphtrent's initial response.
Needless to say, I'm new to all this, and I really appreciate the help.

Ken

If you setup the website to be an intranet zone, then your user's won't have to logon to the site. It will just grab their logged on username.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back