Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request for help with Stop Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussteve

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
Hi All,
I have been experiencing a stop error from time to time which always seems to be the same culprit. It up to date has not followed any rhyme or reason, just occuring spontaneously. I get the following error codes after the usual XP Blue Screen preface, "have you installed new hardware, is this the first time this error has occured?" etc etc and am wondering if a latent genius with windows codes (of which I am sure there are many) can help me at least get a hint of what they are telling me? I get the following:

STOP: 0X0000008E
(OXC0000005, OXBF806850, 0XB5D38710, 0X00000000
Win32K.sys Address BF806850 Base at BF800000,
Datestamp 49900FC9

I have reimaged, reinstalled, and changed some hardware items excluding ram, processor and motherboard with no change. I am running a Gigabyte EP35DS4 board with Intel 8400 Core 2 Duo and 2 Gb of Corsair ram.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Remember... Google is your friend.... I found this article which suggests that after you eliminate the hardware, and since you re-imaged, the software, you could very likely be the victim of a rootkit.

For the sake of arguement, I'm assuming you're running XP or Vista. Once you get rid of the rootkit, make sure you're fully patched and for goodness sake, if you're running a Symantec variant as your AV, take a look at a different product.

No telling how you got infected, but if I were in your shoes, I'd think twice before using any memory sticks that have been in that machine....

Mike, The IT Guy

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Since he did a new install, most likely it is not a ROOTKIT... but should be checked nevertheless...

I would try reinstalling, using a slipstreamed sp3 CD (nLite)...

replace mice and keyboard, unplug USB devices, etc...

run memtest on the RAM, get the latest drivers for chipset, gfxcard, and co. ...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Many thanks for your replies, will have a further play

Cheers

Steve

A Stop Error is a Hardware Error not a software error. Typically it could be Memory or Hard Drive, or Video card. Often it can be something like a power supply causing errors in hardware. i.e. hardware not having a good steady supply of power. This can cause problems in hard drives and memory or both.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back