Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request for help -Access 2007, Attachmate, VBA - Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBAInterest

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2009
IN
Hi All,

I need your help on a project that I am currently working on. I am using Microsoft Access 2007 to write information to Mainframe Systems using Attachmate Extra X-treme 8.0 (SP1).

The code is running fine. However, I am facing an issue when it comes to certain files (where the number of records to be written to Mainframe are more). If there are 100 records, the code works fine and writes to Mainframe in about a minutes time (which is good enough considering that there are default wait times).

However, when the number of records are more the macro slows down gradually... A file with 700 records took 38 minutes, 19 minutes and 21 minutes when ran simultaneously.

A point to note is that the macro is run over a Citrix Session. I understand that there may be variations in the connectivity. However, this difference between the time taken to update 100 records vs 700 records is alarming.. (1 minute vs 20 minutes average)

I have tried running the code with and without disabling the Productivity Tools on Attachmate (Disabling Screen History, etc..) and still there is no change in performance....

Any help that you can provide me in resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards...

hi,
considering that there are default wait times
I use no fixed default wait time.

The technique that I use to "wait" for the asych ready, is to move the cursor away from the screen rest coordinates and LOOP until the WaitForCursor is TRUE for the screen rest coordinates, like...
Code:
    With oScrn
        '...
        .MoveRelative 1, 1, 1
        .SendKeys ("<enter>")
        Do Until (.WaitForCursor(4, 3))
            DoEvents
        Loop
        '...
    End With
[code]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my [b]old subtlety[/b]...
for a [b]NUANCE![/b][tongue][/sub]

BTW, since ALL my Attachmate applications read/write data FROM Excel, I do ALL my coding in Excel VBA, which is MUCH easier and MUCH more flexible in almost every way than Extra Basic.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Thank you for your time...

There is no problem with the wait times... I have declared them as you have mentioned itself.

Also, the code works fine till 100 -150 records...post which it slows down drastically... I donot see a problem with the code since its the same steps that are being followed to update them on attachmate...
So, I am not sure where this is going wrong...!!! :(

There is no problem with the wait times
Hmmmm???

Are you sure?

I run using this technique and a simple screen scrape (24x80) of 1000 items (some items with multiple screens) runs 26:36 with no noticable cycle degredation.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back