Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repurposing print layout to web 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boblanham

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
US
Using Quark Xpress 5.0 to create web pages.

When I view my web pages on a large monitor the page layout goes flush left on the screen. Most web pages that I see either center the page horizontally on the monitor or stretch the page horizontally to fill the width of the monitor.

I cannot find any settings or preferences in the Quark web page setup that allows this. Can you help?

The best advice I can think of is... don't use Quark for web pages! I know they're pushing this as a wonderful new feature, but it doesn't do a very good job!

Best thing to do is to use Quark's output as a starting point only, then open the resulting file in another application, such as Dreamweaver, or even a text editor.

If you are familiar with XML, this could be another option for you to try, but it's quite complicated, and Quark's implementation of this still has a few bugs. Look at the Quark.avenue documentation to see if it suits your needs.

hth

Thanks for your reply. We have Adobe Go Live but I have not dove in to it as I was expecting Quark 5.0 to do what I need. I have not learned HTML. Actually the web pages generated by Quark look just fine. I would just like to have them centered on the monitor when viewed on large monitors.

Well Boblanham,

QuarkXPress does not provide the enlignment of the webpages according to the dimentions / resolution of the monitors/CRTs. These are the enhanced features of HTML editor softwares like Macromedia's Dreamweaver or Microsoft's Front Page XPress.

In these softwares we place all the contents in a table and we can align the table in the Page center or make the table dimensions 100%. It will spread the contents on the full screen.

So Boblanham, I will suggest you to choose the Exclusive HTML editors for WebPage Creation.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
TechLeo

~"Outline your Ideas"~

Open your code in a text editor, look for the part that says <body ....> (where ... could be a few extra attributes) and insert the following:

<p align=&quot;center&quot;>

Strictly speaking, you should also look for the </body> tag at the end of the code and add a </p> before it, but it should work either way.

The only downside to this is that it will add an extra space at the start of your page. If that's a problem, ignore all that and instead look for the <table ...> tag. Change it to <table .... align=&quot;center&quot;> (in other words, add align=&quot;center&quot; just before the closing >.

hth

I really appreciate the suggestions ... and the prompt replies.

Any recomendation between Dreamweaver or Go Live?

I've only used Dreamweaver so I can't give an unbiased opinion, but as far as I know, did a review of some of the major programs, and Dreamweaver came out on top. I think they created a basic web page in all the apps and tried it in a wide range of browsers. Dreamweaver's code seemed to be the most compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back