Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repost Link a table to a website

Status
Not open for further replies.

at51178

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hey Guys

I would like to build a database with all my stocks and the latest prices. I have something setup in excel where I have my stock information automatically downloaded and updated every minute I would like to do the samething with Access as well can this be done where I could download information such as the stock symbol, company Name, Last price, and Change, and have the table update the connection every minute.

Oh ya I am looking to download information from

ever the stock symbol would be)

Let me know if this can be done

I have found a link that describes what I am trying to do but I don't quite understand it that much.

Thanks

Access can import HTML data from a website and install it in a table for display or manipulation. The trick will be getting the data into a predictable format before importing it. Likewise, Access can import textual or Excel data into its tables. What you do is link to an external file using the URL of the file as the identifier. Access uses the rather primitive Microsoft ISAMs to accomplish the import process so you're bound to run into problems in data conversion unless it's pretty much plain vanilla stuff. Excel is a bit easier to work with in this regard since all its variables are variants. Access is more restricted so you have to watch carefully the data types on import. For example, if the first value in an Excel field is a number then the Excel ISAM used to import the data into Access will dimension the entire field as a number. If there are text values anywhere in the field then the process will fail without any error message.

If your stock information is in an HTML table on the website then the process should be fairly simple. But I suspect that won't be the case.

AvGuy

I currently do have my stock information in excel but with the number of stocks that I have, it is a pain to up it on a daily basis.I would have to download the stock information and then manually enter the last price amd change in my other sheet. I am just looking for a way to just type in my stock symbol and automatically download the information from msn.com. I felt that access would be much eaiser way to do it.

I already tried to link the excel file to my access database but I ran into problems because the excel spreadsheet is refreshing every minute and everytime it refreshes I lose data in my access database.

And so I would much rather do everything in one spot.

Do you know if maybe I would be able to do the same thing in Visual Basics.

I'm looking to try the same thing. Have you made any progress? I'm just starting on this, so I'm still gathering info.

Hey Apollo

I tried looking everywhere but I couldn't find anything if you have any luck please let me know I would really like to create a database like this. If you want we can calaborate together.

OK, sounds good. I will post any info that I find.
regards,
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back