Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repository Creation for Developer Suite 6i on XP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kontact

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
GB
I have just installed 9i personal on XP and have all DB programs running fine now that I have the lister started.
I have no problem accessing the SQL*Plus using the 9i version or any Enterprise Manager.

In using Designer 6i I understand that a separate repository is to be created and using the supplied scripts this is to be done at the command prompt using SQL*Plus supplied with the Developer suite.

When I try and connect as sys as sysdba ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.

I have read onm another site that each Oracle home should be considered independant of each other and so, for the oracle home of the Dev suite I have included in the TNSNAMES.ora the connect information for my existing oracle database.

I'm at a loss as to hat to do now. Any assistence would be muxh appreciated.

Each Oracle Home has its separate entry in registry in
HKLM\Software\Oracle\HOMEx
You may place string value TNS_ADMIN to point to the directory, where the correct tnsnames.ora file is located. In your case it's probably <DATABASE_HOME>\NETWORK\ADMIN. This will force Developer products to use database settings.

Though your error may indicate that <as dba> is treated as tns_alias. In this case you may try to connect as normal(by omiting AS clause) and then connect from sql*plus command line. Regards, Dima

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in his process.

I have added a string value of TNS_ADMIN with string as the location of the tnsnames.ora file, but this still has not worked. Is there any other parameter with the 9iDSHome that I would also need changing, I have also changed the parameter for the Repository but this has not helped either.

I have tried connecting both with the 'as sysdba' and without. Stil no luck.

Did you set TNS_ADMIN to location or to full name? It should point to DIRECTORY, where WORKING tnsnames is located. Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back