Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reports - Dynamically Changing the FROM Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebull1

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
I'd like to dynamically change the FROM clause in the Report query, such that I should be able to provide the table from which to select in the parameter form at runtime. How would I go about that ??

Thanks.

Use lexical parameters. eg.

Select x from &table_name

Then populate the table_name parameter in a before-report or somesuch.

Thanks Lewisp... I did come across the Lexical parameters but could not implement them. I kept getting the error of "table or view does not exist". After a long struggle, I did however manage to use the SRW.DO_SQL build-in package which worked very well with a view that I created to pass the table name into its string.
Thanks again.

You have to provide default value for table_name variable. With this table name your query must be valid during design time.

Hiya !

This lexical parameter is applicable for other report objects also, when you want to handle something dynamically in the report !

Please get back to me in case you need a clarification regarding this.

Rgds,
Hari
hariharan_murugan@infy.com

I guess my problem with the lexical parameters was that issue of providing a default value for the parameter. I just did not understand what the problem was so I resulted to a view, but I'll be sure to get back to you all the next time I have to use the dynamic select with a lexical parameter.
Thanks a lot guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back