Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reports - Customizing Error Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebull1

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
In Forms Builder we have on_message and on_error triggers where you can actually customize the error message to be displayed to the user. How can we achieve the same in Reports.. eg I have a parameter validation trigger that is returning the message "REP-0546 : Invalid Parameter Input " . This message is not appealing to the user and I'd like to give the client something more friendlier.
Please assist.

Hi !
You can use SRW.MESSAGE functionality to achieve this...

eg., srw.message(100,'Please check the input parameter that you have entered !')

This line when executed, will throw an alert saying the message you give in the quotation marks...

Hope this helps...

Thanks...That solves it but I have observed another thing. If you customize a message output using the SRW.MESSSAGE build-in, the system will give the nice customized message, followed immediately by the message that I was trying to avoid in the first place. Is it possible to suppress the display of the original message??

Hiya !!!

I have not tried this... may be you can try this option... Can you catch that report builder error and handle it in the exception part so that, in the exception part you can display the customized error message, if such a report builder error occurs?

Please let me know the result of this after you try this option...

Rgds,
Hari

Hi Hari..
YES !! It does to work if I return a TRUE in the function's exception too. I'll check to see whether this will create further problems in the future and let you know..
Thanks again Hari..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back