Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reports 2.5 performance 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookor

MIS
Apr 21, 1999
US
We have a number of reports 2.5 and forms 4.5 forms on a large oracle 8 database. Performance is terrible. We are calling the reports from forms with the run_product command. Is there any more efficient way to submit reports? What runtime command line switches are important for performance? Id like to have some of the reports that are printed every few minutes (receipts for example) run a report and come right back to the screen for the next customer number and keep printing numbers without having to "run" runtime again.<br>
<br>
any suggestions?<br>
<br>
thanks<br>
<br>
bob

The only way i'm remembering to speed up your reports is convert them to ascii, instead of bipmap. But you can only do this if you have the source code, that i suppose you don't like you said in another post.<br>
<br>
Good Luck<br>
<br>

Fortunately in our in-house developed reports I have the source, its only in the vendor supplied forms applications I dont. How would you go about converting to ascii instead of bitmap? The reports are developed in reports 2.5 and I can save them from developer as a "compiled" (i think its and *.rep file) or the standard "uncompiled" report file. Either version of the report is useable by runtime. I don't know of any other way of converting the source file to another format, Ascii for example.<br>
<br>
thanks for the reply<br>
<br>
<br>

If you add the system parameter MODE to your default parameter form, with the value CHARACTER, you'll have a ascii report. Be careful because some fields of the layout must be bigger or it'll appear **** on the field.

thanks, Ill give that a try and see if it helps. <br>
<br>

You can try running the report in batch mode i.e. Auto Print. Set the sytem parameters PARAMFORM to NO and BATCH to YES. The report will be printed automatically either to a Printer or to a File - RTF file. For this set the parameter DESNAME - name of the online printer or file name and DESTYPE to PRINTER or FILE, if you are printing to a file, set DESFORMAT to RTF or PDF.<br>
<br>
Good Luck <br>
Kalyan

If you have the .RDFs, try to exec the reports inside the Reports Designer in trace mode, to verify about lost indexes, bad sql statement order and so on. To do :<br>
<br>
a) load the desired .RDF file in the Reports Designer <br>
<br>
b) in the Tools menu, select Trace<br>
<br>
c) fill the Trace file field with a valid file name (for example, c:\trace.txt), , and run the report<br>
<br>
d) exit from the Reports Designer, and open the file. You will see in the file useful timing statistics, and more important : the SQL commands executed by the report; get these SQL commands and exec them on sql*plus, to benchmark time of execution, and verify the quality os the sql (order by clause, use of indexes, number and size of the tables involved, etc.<br>
<br>
Good luck !<br>
<br>
[]s 4 u<br>
<br>
J. Laurindo Chiappa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back