Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportNet's Dispatcher Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flora9090

Programmer
Dec 6, 2004
CA
Hi,
For open "Cognos Connection Portal".

The Error encountered is

"DPR-ERR-2058 The Dispatcher cannot service the Request at this time . The dispatcher is still initializing. Please Try again .Contact your administrator""

And I checked crnserver.log file, the message is below:
Thread-24 DISP 1139 1 Audit.Other.DISP.pogo pogo com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl Failure <messages><message><messageString>DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.</messageString></message><message><messageString></messageString></message><message><messageString>null&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString>com.cognos.pogo.bibus.SoapFaultException&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.handleResponse(BIBusCommand.java:485)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.execute(BIBusCommand.java:246)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.StandbyContentManagerElectionCommand.executeIfLocal(StandbyContentManagerElectionCommand.java:58)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl.sendElectCommand(ActiveCMControl.java:223)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl.access$100(ActiveCMControl.java:24)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl$ElectTask.run(ActiveCMControl.java:239)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)&#13;</messageString></message><message><messageString> at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)&#13;</messageString></message></messages> <trace>DPR-CMI-4007 An request to perform an active content manager election failed.</trace>

Any idea would be appreciated.
( by the way, I noticed that this problem was posted before, but I have not yet got the final solution from there.so I posted it again)

hi flora,

Do you get this message when you type ?

There are multiple causes for this error. Use the following checklist to troubleshoot the error.

The source of the problem may be with the Content Store database.

Check that the tables have been created in the Content Store database. Also, ensure that a supported version of the Content Store database is being used. A list of Content Store databases is available on the support.cognos.com website.
The Content Store database must be set to case-insensitive. The steps to confirm that the Content Store database is case-insensitive will vary depending on the database you are using. Please refer to the database documentation or contact your Database Administrator to find the steps needed for your database.
Ensure that the port for the Content Store database is correct. If you are using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 the default port for installation is 1433. The default port for Oracle is 1521. To check the port open Cognos Configuration. Go to Local Configuration, Data Access, Content Manager, database resource properties, database server and port number. If you make any changes to these settings, remember to restart the Cognos ReportNet service.
You may need to increase the Oracle table space.
In DB2 version 8.1, the DB2 DBA must run a DB2 command line command "Start" with parameters for the database in order to activate the JDBC access.

Ensure that the database sign-on has all the privileges required to create tables.

It might be a timing issue. Both Cognos ReportNet and Java.exe take some time to initialize. When starting Cognos ReportNet as a Windows service, there will be a short delay between the time Windows invokes the software and shows Cognos ReportNet as started, and the time Cognos ReportNet has actually completed its initialization.

Try using the startup.bat file in order to see the error messages or to ensure that the dispatcher has been initialized properly. In order to do so, follow these steps:

1. Stop the Cognos ReportNet service.
2. Navigate to the crn\bin directory and run the startup.bat file.
3. If the dispatcher does not initialize properly, the error messages will be visible in the Command Prompt.
4. If the message The dispatcher is ready to process requests is displayed, the dispatcher and Cognos ReportNet services have initialized properly.
5. When all errors are resolved, restart the Cognos ReportNet service.
6. Errors can also be seen by opening the crnserver.log file from the ...\crn\logs directory.

Ensure that the database server host name is listed in the hosts file (located in the C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc directory).

In Cognos Connection in the Content Store node, ensure the Service Name Property (the SID) is not fully qualified. The JDBC Driver uses the SID, not the fully qualified name.

Do not use any remote software, such as DameWare, to install Cognos ReportNet. Install the product directly on the server to avoid this error.

hope this helps,

christenhusz

HI, christen
thanks for your reply.
Yes, I got that error message when I typed that one.
And as your way,it looks like that Tomcat just stopped in one point. No error message or other message prompted.
And checked the log file, it is "
DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.</messageString></message><message><messageString>Operation timed out: connect</messageString></message><message><messageString>Operation timed out: "

For database host name is already in the list.in fact, database is in the same server as ReportNet. (using Oracle, and user has enough privillge.
But What do you mean "Check that the tables have been created in the Content Store database" and "increase ORACLE table space"? Does I need to create some specific tables manually for Congnos Content Store?

Could you please give me more instruction?
thanks a lot

flora
Could you please give

There are some set of 100 tables that get created in the content storage database when the configuration is applied successfully. These tables are automatically created by cognos reportnet when the configuration is saved. Please check the database and confirm this.

ReportNet creates numerous table in the Database mentioned in the content manager.

1. There will be 45 tables created with the table name starting with CM.
2. 48 tables with the name starting with NC
3. 11 tables with the name starting with R
4. 5 views with the name starting with V

Hi,
thanks all of you.
It's really the database's problem. Those all tables have not been created.
I am working on it. Once I solve it, I will post the result here.

anyone's idea aslo would be appreciated.

Flora

I have that problem before.
Make sure you change the characterset in your oracle database used for reportnet content store to Unicode. Otherwise reportnet can not create the content store tables.

I suggest remove the oracle user using for content store and create the user again with the connect and resource roles. This step to make sure all the objects created halfway (if any) during the last installation attempt have been totally remove. Otherwise, report net initial script will fail to create some objects because of existing.

Remove report net. Re-install it again, when the installation prompt for configuration, stop there, open another window. If you use Oracle 9i, copy the classes12.zip file from oralce\ora92\jdbc\lib folder to crn\webapps\p2dp\Web-inf\lib folder and rename the file to classes12.jar. Then continue with the default configuration.

In the configuration, delete the default content store (which is SQL server database), add the oracle content store database, then save it. This time report net will able to create all the objects in the new oracle content store account.

Hope it help

Hi,Chiennk,
Thanks for your idea. I'll try it.
It would be very helpful

Flora

I am, right now, struggling with the dispatcher problem. One of the earlier suggestions was that the character set (Oracle 10g) should be changed to unicode. However, the Cognos ReportNet Installation and Configuration guide gives me an impression that the character code should be anything BUT unicode! Pls let me know what am I missing here? I have my Oracle database's character set as AL16UTF16. What should I do? Thanks in anticipation, friends.

you r right.
see Reportnet material (inst_cr_winux.pdf page 28 ):
Steps for Oracle
1. If you use Oracle 8.1.7, ensure that the compatibility level parameter of the content store is set
to 8.1 and not to the default setting of 8.0.
For information about changing an instance configuration parameter, see the Oracle
documentation.
2. Determine if the database is Unicode.
Tip: One method is to type the following select statement:
select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS
The result set returns NLS_CHARACTERSET is UTF-8 or UTF-16, or AL32UTF8 or
AL16UTF16, or not Unicode.
3. If the result set returns an NLS_CHARACTERSET that is not Unicode, create a new
database.
• For Oracle 8.1.7, ensure that you specify UTF-8 or UTF-16 for the database character set
parameters.
• For Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g, specify AL32UTF8 or AL16UTF16 for the database
character set parameters.
4. Determine which user account ReportNet will use to access the content store.
5. Ensure that the user account that accesses the content store has permissions to do the
following:
• connect to the database
• create, alter, and drop tables, triggers, views, procedures, and sequences
• insert, update, and delete data in the content store tables

Hi scottsdale2k,

I have same problem. I checked the created table, the result is:
39 tables created with the table name starting with CM.
48 tables with the name starting with NC. (same with you)
11 tables with the name starting with R.(same with you)
5 views with the name starting with V. (same with you)

My collation is "SQL_Latin1_General1_CP1_C1_As". Is it correct?

I'm currently trying to upgrade from 1.1.230.2 to 1.1MR1 in our development environment, and I am experiencing the same error. I am trying to upgrade the existing content store (which still works with the old version and should have the correct characterset), and used the old crnstartup.xml(so the settings to access the database are definitely correct).

I opened a ticket with Cognos Support on Monday and they haven't been able to help yet. I'll keep an eye on this post, and let you know if we get our issue resolved...

After NINE business days trying to figure this out, we finally have CRN 1.1 MR1 running. Our issue was that MR1 would not connect to the Content Store database. We would get a 'Dispatcher still initializing' error at the URL, and the error ' DPR-CMI-4007 An request to perform an active content manager election failed.' in the crnserver.log file.

Finally, Cognos support had us check the Environment Variables on the server, and we found that there was an Environment Variable for our older version of CRN. The variable was CRN_Root and it was set to the crn directory. Of course, since the upgrade cannot be installed on top of an older version, and was instead installed in a new folder, this path was not valid for the version we were attempting to run.

We deleted this variable entirely, rebooted the server, and MR1 worked! I don't know why we had this variable on the server, according to Cognos it is not necessary. And I don't know why it was affecting the connection to the database. But hopefully if someone else runs into this issue it will save you a couple of days of torture...

Stacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back