Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportNet to leverage existing Business Object Metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturo007

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
US
Does anybody have further information on how could I reuse my existing Business Objects metadata with the upcoming product from Cognos: ReportNet? There was a recent article where Anil Dilawri - Product Marketing @ Cognos mentioned it (end of the article)
Thanks!

Arturo

Not knowing the structure of BO, this is just guessing, but ReportNet has the ability to import xml sources to create Framework Manager models (cpf files). There are also a LOT of third party meta data sources listed in the available data sources list. Not 100% sure, but BO might even be there.

flex

I may have a similar need in the near future so I'll be watching this thread carefully. We've got a 5 yr history with BusinessObjects and may be switching everything to Cognos. I participate in this BusinessObjects forum...

so I'll probably ask there as well and will post findings back here. Is this the best Cognos forum? Opinions?

flex,

Does ReportNet use Architect for it's metadata repository, or does it use something equivilent to the catalog in Impromptu?

I hope to see a demo soon in person, and of course I'll be watching the Cognos webcast in Sept. Hope to learn more than I saw at TechForum.

Thanks,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave

To the best of my knowledge, ReportNet does not use any of the component of it's predecessor app. It has a new client piece like the Architect called the Framework Manager that does the metadata repository work and ER kind of modeling.

Apparently, one cannot migrate from any of the earlier versions of Cognos BI to ReportNet. One has to begin from scratch by re-designing the metadata architecture and all the reports therefrom.

From what I have heard, it is basically Impromptu, IWR, Architect and Cognos Query all rolled in to one app, and much more and you can run queries off multiple data sources.

Nagra,

What impressed me the most, other than the zero footprint, was the ability to have multiple peer level query frames on the same page. The vlexibility of placement of sub-reports in Impromptu is very limited. Multi-datasource access would be an excellent plus as well.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

You are right in saying that FrameWork Manager is a new architecture, BUT Cognos does provide the possibility of upgrading BOTH Impromptu catalogs and Architect models to be used as a starting point in Framework Manager. There are two little commandline utilities provided with ReportNet which allow for this conversion.

It is possible to import BO Universes (version 5) in Cognos Reportnet. It will import the metadata into Framework Manager (the metadata modeling environment) from which you can publish it as a package to Cognos Reportnet. It is also possible to migrate Impromptu Catalogs and Architect models and more metadate sources like e.g. COOL Gen, XML and metadata in CWM (version 1.0) format which I think is very cool !!

Cheers Jack

I hadn't heard that there was a possibility of converting existing BO universes to the FrameWork Manager/Packages format. I'm surprised it didn't come up in the many demos we've had. Where did you get the info? I'd like to know more. It would certainly make the transition easier!

Oh I see it now. In the article. It somehow means to leverage the existing metadata. Well, that should be interesting [ponder]

Flex et al,

You mention "ReportNet has the ability to import xml sources to create Framework Manager models (cpf files)." Is this cpf format a proprietary or an open standard? What does cpf stands for? Can Framework Manager models be saved in the database (relational form)?

Thanks!

Arturo

Framework Manager is the data modeling tool for ReportNet. All of the content for RN is stored inside of a database (DB2, Oracle or SQL Server). When you publish your model (cpf) file to ReportNet, a binary run time model gets stored inside of the db. Until it is published, it is only stored locally. If you are looking for additional security, or for source control, you can always store your models inside one of the supported source control systems.

flex

my email is scott@3ring.ca

You can import Business Objects metadata (universes) from BO version 5 at the moment. You import these in Framework manager (the new metadatamanagement tool) and after finishing it you can publish it as a package to Reportnet.

You cannot import BO reports at the moment. But maybe in the near future they will come up with a solution for that at Cognos (I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back