Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportNet connection with 2 databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissReportNet

Programmer
Dec 11, 2005
NL
Hi,

Is it possible to achieve two database connections which are the same databases ( a test and a production) whith different names??

Cheers,

MissReportNet

With ReportNet!!!! And I would also know, how many hours it will be cost to implement a test environment on a running environment.

Thanks in advance!!!!

CHeers,

MissReportNet

Hi MissReportNet,

To my knowledge, this is a fundamental issue with the product. I have a number of clients on Impromptu, and it's not unusual at all for them to use the same reports on both production and a test database, making a change in the logical database pointer at the client computer, or changing the logical database used by the catalog. In either case, the change only effects a small portion of the user base, while other users can use the same reports on the production database unaffected.

I'd love to hear if current ReportNet users have found a way to do this as well, short of having a second instance of ReportNet running with a different database connect string.

Thanks,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
Magic with Data [pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Hi Dave,

After some testings I can confirm that pointing to multiple databases with different name is possible.
I have the following setup on my machine and works fine.
- One data source defined in Cognos Connection called 'Retailers'.
- There fore two connections under this data source one called Gosales and the other GOSL2.
- Each of these connections are pointing to a different SQL Server database.
- Gosales connection points to the database GOSL.
- GOSL2 points to a database case GOSL2.
- These two databases are identical.
- I have a report created against the data source 'Retailers'.
- I am prompted to select which connection to use at time when the report is run.
- The report runs exactly the same for both connections.

This answers my question, hope it answers yours to!

Cheers,

MissReportNet

MissReportNet,

ReportNet automatically prompts you for which connection to use when multiple connections have been defined? Just wanted to clarify this.

If so, it gets real close to what I need. The only problem is that now everyone has to select a connection, which can be confusing to users. It would be nice if the user could connect to a default connection without action, and only those that wanted to connect to a different connection had to address the choice.

Thanks again,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
Magic with Data [pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave

If I remember rightly i think this can be achieved by restricting the user access to the development database, If the user only has access to one of the datasources then they do not get the prompt.

I would need to test but I think this correct.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Hi Gary and Dave,

I thought also that it would be confusing when users are prompted to choose and it was my next case to find out.

Gary I would like to hear your testing results!

Cheers,

MissReportNet

MissReportNet

Unfortunately I am not in the office now until Monday, I will take a look then. If you manage to test in the meantime please let us know.

Thanks

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Hi Gurus,

I'm new and still not be able to configuration reportnet with SQL SERVER/ORACLE 8i.

So need help (details/steps) for configuration.

mail me at sap_35b@yaoo.com , appreciate your reply.

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back