Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reporting from an XML data source and database source 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belky

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi All,
I understand Crystal Reports can report from XML data source given that they are in the format of XML Data Island files, XML ADO compatible files or raw XML files. However, my question is, can I report off a XML data source as well as a database source on the same report. My guess is you can however there would be performance Issues.
Anyone have experience in this area?
Thank you

Yes you can do it. I have seen it done at a Crystal sales presentation. I have no idea about the performance impact. Howard Hammerman,

Crystal Reports training, consulting, books, training material, software, and support. Scheduled training in 8 cities.
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Hi there,

You can connect to different datasources within Crystal yes. The only supported method is to use ODBC Connections at this current time.

Performance wise is not the best and this is why. Crystal Reports will submit 2 SQL Queries through the ODBC Layer and then manually put the 2 record sets together. The problem with this is that there is no Where Statement passed along to the database as well as the linking is restricted to an Equal Join between the 2 datasources.

Meaning other than the basic select being sent to the Database server all filtering is done on the Crystal LOCAL machine processing. Performance is not the best.

A better performance work around is to link in the XML datasource to your database server and run the queries there on the database server through a View or Stored Procedure for the best results.

Chris Evans a.c.e.

Hello

You have mentioned that a better way would be to
to link in the XML datasource to your database server and run the queries there on the database server through a View or Stored Procedure for the best results.

Can you elaborate on this with a sample code if possible.

Thanking you in anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back